Finally built and wanted to join

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

RAD97

Jun 23, 2022
Norco, CA
What's up guys, My name is Micah Radnich and this is my son Samuel's truck. He's 17. I didn't really feel I could join until I had something that could handle the desert respectably but years ago in 2001 I took my wife's '96 (after buying her a new truck) and did a budget mid-travel build piecing together using Camburg bent stock cast beams and built my own radius arms. This time I wanted to go bigger, wider, stronger. He and I started this at Christmas break 6 months ago, now it's a driver but we're still doing some tweaking. Back story, I worked with a guy that had this truck for years parked non-op at his house. Faded out paint, wrecked headliner and seats. $1000 later, and a battery we drove this thing home. 105k original miles, 4cyl stick and 4.10 gears. Dad here pitched in a little but most of the upgrades including buying the truck were funded by my son through lots of lawn mowing for neighbors. Re-did the interior and my Son buffed the hell out of the paint, it's really good for 25 yrs old. This build cost me a new welder too as the old one crapped out mid-build.

He had bought a set of Craigslist extended beams and Camburg arms and brackets and it was "supposed" to go pretty smooth. We concluded that the truck they came off must have been in a wreck. The radius arms and brackets were great but the front right axle was bent pretty good. The part of the beams that had been extended were in great shape and still true. Wanting to keep the '97 brakes and spindles, we spliced the ends (with correct pre-heating before welding methods) onto some forged beams and plated the crap out of them. Caster is set up around 11 degrees at ride height. With shocks as limiting straps it has about 8" of droop and with glass should have about 8" up travel. The project will keep developing and improving but he's pretty excited to finally drive it. I have a lot more fab pictures from Radius arms, mounts and beams. Oh yeah, flared the bed sides to clear the 35's. Should get some glass front fenders in the next 3 weeks.

We're down in the Norco, CA area
other toys include an '84 250R trike, 69 Yamaha RT1 360 with GYT kit, 04 YZ 450F, Bullet proofed '04 Super Duty.

Attachments

RAD97

Jun 23, 2022
Norco, CA
Technically yes. The beams we got had already been extended and run on another truck. The widened portion was done with thick mild steel i-beam. Making a jig, I cut the ends off from where the I-beam was welded at the inner part of the cast beams and grafted it onto the forged ones. Preheated, clean deep root, many passes, cool down process. I then plated using the same heating process.

Reactions: dose

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds