First Truck Build. 2004 Ranger.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Here is a pic of the truck as it sits now.
The truck is an 04 edge with a 3.0 in it. Nothing major done to it, wheels and tires are new, the bumper was one of my first welding projects and the light bar is just a cheap amazon one. I've been collecting parts for the last few months and right now I have Deaver f31s, 2.5x16 triple bypass Fox's, 3 inch Fiberwerx glass, BTF spindle kit, 2.5x6 remote resi Kings, and lots of little miscellaneous things. I should be putting most of this stuff on within the next couple weeks. Long term plans are cage it, link it, LT up front, and V8.
  • Some questions I have now.
  • What length limit straps should I get for the rear?
  • Remove the rear sway bar?? Front is already gone.
  • Planning on doing stock hangar flip and running stock shackles, I see some people move the hangar back and some don't, what is the best choice?
  • Will 2 spares at the end of the bed be too much weight for the f31s?
I will have a lot of questions as this is really my only source of information, don't know anyone around me into the desert scene and all my friend are into the "lift is as high as possible and put super swampers on it" scene. Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to getting this build started. Sorry about the shitty formatting, how do you insert paragraph breaks?

ItzEnsign

Jul 24, 2012
Canyone Lake
Sweet seems like a solid start, always wanted to build my single cab 3.0. You'll know what size limit straps you need once you get the rear deavers on and shocks. You'll strap it about .5" before the shock is fully extended. Don't have to have a exact length for limit straps since you can work with a lot of different sizes. For the shackle. I would flip it and I pulled my friends f31 shackle back on his ranger I believe a 1" back from stock bolt location. But pulling it apart and cycling the rear would be the best since you have to cycle for the bypass anyway. I think the dual tires will be fine. Worse case stiffen up the bypass tubes until your happen with it or re valve it. And ditch the sway bar. Unless your getting crazy amounts of travel in the rear you don't need it for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiteranger3

Nov 19, 2013
If the deavers are new, I would run hangers in stock location with a flipped hanger, if they're used move them back. I'm running used ones with pushed back kartek drop hanger and for what it is it rides nice

Whiteranger3

Nov 19, 2013
Interested to see how the 2.5x6" shocks work in the front. Assuming you're using them with lift coils (burg or fabtech) along with the btf spindle?

Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Sweet seems like a solid start, always wanted to build my single cab 3.0. You'll know what size limit straps you need once you get the rear deavers on and shocks. You'll strap it about .5" before the shock is fully extended. Don't have to have a exact length for limit straps since you can work with a lot of different sizes. For the shackle. I would flip it and I pulled my friends f31 shackle back on his ranger I believe a 1" back from stock bolt location. But pulling it apart and cycling the rear would be the best since you have to cycle for the bypass anyway. I think the dual tires will be fine. Worse case stiffen up the bypass tubes until your happen with it or re valve it. And ditch the sway bar. Unless your getting crazy amounts of travel in the rear you don't need it for now Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks for the help.

Jun 29, 2016
Tucson, AZ
So kind of forgot to update this thread. Work has been going well on the truck. Have the front and rear just about done for now. Need to make a few adjustments and what not. Most important is I need to change the front shock mount setup because right now on hard bumps the shocks are collapsing all the way on themselves. New bumpstops helped stop it most of the time but it was my fault for not really listening to advice I was given about making shock mounts. Probably going to make a shock tower instead of the shock hoop that I did the first time. The other pressing issue is the tires hitting my besides on hard bumps. I'm sure I am going to end up smashing them soon enough so I am thinking I will probably ditch the bed all together and just run some bedsides, just need to either get lucky with some used ones or work up the motivation to drive out to Cali to avoid the $300 to ship them. I will try to embed the images on here but they will probably get fucked up so here is an imgur link with them. (https://imgur.com/a/I1O2g). Also note all welds are flux core because I can't do anything else thanks to the constant wind. Any criticisms are appreciated, this is my first time really doing anything this extensive with welding, tube work, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds