Fuel cell plumbing question.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
Quick question for you guys who have plumbed a cell into your 90s ranger. Mine is a 1994 with the 4.0. Do you have to connect the charcoal canister line to the cell somehow to pass smog or avoid a CEL?

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Technically, i believe a cell will visually fail. However it has been done. Your best chance at passing is to have EVERYTHING hooked up like factory. My buddy made a custom filler plate that matched the factory toyota tank and passed. Charcoal Canister/vent, Fuel lines, Fill neck/cap, Wires, were all factory. When I put a cell in my jeep I didn't use a filler plate, but I did hook everything up like it was stock. tank was hidden and the factory tank was still in place when i took it to get smoked though.

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
Thanks for the replies guys. This weekend I went ahead and added a fitting to the cell to hook up the charcoal canister just to be safe. I also rigged up the stock filler cap and fill plate onto the clear jazz filler neck. Anybody have a smog guy in the I.E that would pass the visual? Truck still has all smog equipment and has never failed the sniffer, just worried about the visual.

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for the replies guys. This weekend I went ahead and added a fitting to the cell to hook up the charcoal canister just to be safe. I also rigged up the stock filler cap and fill plate onto the clear jazz filler neck. Anybody have a smog guy in the I.E that would pass the visual? Truck still has all smog equipment and has never failed the sniffer, just worried about the visual.
Just a heads up, it might be a little harder to find someone lenient. The BAR is up smog shops ass right now because someone made a device to go between the smog machine and obdII port. Since that's the only real test on anything 98 and newer, it's a pretty big issue to them.

Reactions: bri_man57 and Canks

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
Bradbury...for what it's worth, I recently discovered that Arizona & Nevada have both started doing smog checks as of 2018. So you can probably just hate on emissions testing in general, not just CA. Catch a few more folks that way :)

In the counties where Phoenix & Tuscon are located, they're smog checking everything back to 1967 now.
That was a real bubble burster for me, because it means my '69 F100 couldn't pass if I were to move out that way. Similar story for Clark county, NV (Vegas)

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds