Full floater rear brakes

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
I am just about at a loss on what to do about the brakes on my rear end. It's an old protruck 4in housing Chrisman with Chrisman hubs. The axle and hubs were bought at separate swap meets so no guarantee the caliper mounts are correct for the brake hats. The twist is I still want to run 15" wheels which puts me into 12.25" rotors. I have some rotors with the correct 10 bolt pattern as the hats but can't find which caliper to run.

I have some wilwood superlites which have the 3.5" spacing mounting tabs but the 4" housing won't allow them to get close enough. It looks like most protrucks ran CNC calipers but the brackets on the axle are 5.125" spacing and as far as I've found CNC are 5".

Anyone have any insight into how to run brakes on 15" wheels on a 4" housing? Keep in mind I don't want to spend too much money and waiting till the next swap meet puts me past my desired completion trip.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
Funny thing is that is the only caliper I found with this 5.125 bolt spread but didn't want to believe it.

Move on to what budget oriented 15" wheel tuckable caliper?

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
Thanks for the reality check Barge. I took another look at the approach I was taking and came up with an all around better plan forward. If I replace a dust cap on the inside face with a rotor adapter I can run a standard wilwood catalog rotor and it would fit mounts for the superlites I already have on the shelf. I have the adapter drawn up, now to find a shop to make two for a reasonable price

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
That's essentially what I did on my front. I just waterjet the adapter blank then machined in the pocket for bolt head clearance

My rear uses the superlites calipers and coleman top hats. That may be the easiest combo

Motiracer38

Super Senior Member
Feb 14, 2006
Santa Clarita
Thanks, I'll look into those alternatives. The first two quotes back were surprising so I may need to consider a different method.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds