GPS Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
alright guys, as we all know this has been covered a million times, but with things constantly evolving i think its worth revisiting from time to time.

whats everyone using for GPS, lowrance or tablet, if tablet what app?

personally im using an old ipad mini with a gps module i got off amazon (tablet does not have data on it) with the Gaia app

i prefer gaia because its worked well for me so far everywhere ive gone, and in my tacoma since i have a double din with carplay i can run it right on the screen in my truck, in the f-150, its ran off the rammount mounted ipad on my center console

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
Hardware:
iPad Pro 11

Software:
LeadNav for racing.
OnX offroad and Mob Armor for playing.

That's my go to.
You happy with lead Nav? I’ve heard it refreshes kind of slow but I’m wondering if that’s relative to how fast your truck goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
You happy with lead Nav? I’ve heard it refreshes kind of slow but I’m wondering if that’s relative to how fast your truck goes

LeadNav has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

Refresh rate has to do with your GPS antenna.

iPad's have a bulit in GPS antenna (on cellular models) that refresh at 1Hz (1 sample per second)
1 second is a lot of distance at 100+mph so most want a higher refresh rate for better accuracy.

Dual Skypro XGPS160 samples at 10Hz which will give a smoother feel. It bluetooth pairs to any iPad or iPhone

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
LeadNav has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

Refresh rate has to do with your GPS antenna.

iPad's have a bulit in GPS antenna (on cellular models) that refresh at 1Hz (1 sample per second)
1 second is a lot of distance at 100+mph so most want a higher refresh rate for better accuracy.

Dual Skypro XGPS160 samples at 10Hz which will give a smoother feel. It bluetooth pairs to any iPad or iPhone
that was my understanding as well and i bought the exact GPS antenna you just posted for that reason actually, but someone was telling me different and i wanted to see if anyone here could back me up on that

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I used mine with no cell signal all the time. What you have to do is download with wifi the terrain maps in the area's that you are wanting to go to so that it will be saved on the tablet and no cell service is required. My tablet doesn't even have the option to use cell signal anyways.

S00TLYFE

Ron Mexico
Oct 5, 2014
Buena Park
what about when there is no cell signal? like in baja?
So with this $160 GPS receiver you get a Bluetooth signal to your tablet from on, it’s good to like 12,000 feet of elevation and like 1000 mph but we will see how it goes like when I get it installed

PSDirtracer

Oct 17, 2007
Bermuda Dunes, CA
So fresh from the NORRA 500, we ran iPad with LeadNav and a Lowrance in both 5 cars, I prefer the lowrance over leadnav we have the gps antenna listed above for the iPad it’s still a bit slower over the Lowrance.

If you were cruising and going slow the leadnav would be good.

Reactions: S00TLYFE

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds