GPS Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

maxwell279

Expert Member
Jan 2, 2012
Lakeside, CA
www.instagram.com
Hardware

Lowrance GPS HDS

iPad Mini 4 cellular model (do not have data plan but it has built in gps)

Software

Gaia - does everything I need to and it’s free.

Would like to try lead nav or OnX though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S00TLYFE

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
I use an old iphone with Gaia, and an external gps antenna from the brand Dual. I have the premium Gaia subscription. I personally think Gaia is far above all other apps out there. It has the best offline Baja map I have ever found.

I have a lot of experience with Leadnav as well. It's the best app out there for RACING, and racing only. Other than that, it lacks A LOT!!!!!

I use an old iphone with Gaia, and an external gps antenna from the brand Dual. I have the premium Gaia subscription. I personally think Gaia is far above all other apps out there. It has the best offline Baja map I have ever found.

I have a lot of experience with Leadnav as well. It's the best app out there for RACING, and racing only. Other than that, it lacks A LOT!!!!!
I have the app/subscription to Gaia on my tablet also but have never really used it. Based on what you said I guess I will have to give it a try. I might have to hit you up for some tips on how to get the best out of it. The biggest problem I have had so far is my RAM mount/tablet placement. Too much glare where I had it but with the new center console I am making, I will be mounting it on it and added another RAM mount arm for more adjustability.

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
I have the app/subscription to Gaia on my tablet also but have never really used it. Based on what you said I guess I will have to give it a try. I might have to hit you up for some tips on how to get the best out of it. The biggest problem I have had so far is my RAM mount/tablet placement. Too much glare where I had it but with the new center console I am making, I will be mounting it on it and added another RAM mount arm for more adjustability.
I’d be happy to help you out with it. I’ve also struggled with a mount. Pretty much any RAM mount still needs to be wedged up against something, & then it needs a little piece of foam to get it even tighter.

S00TLYFE

Professional Retard
Oct 5, 2014
Anaheim
I’d be happy to help you out with it. I’ve also struggled with a mount. Pretty much any RAM mount still needs to be wedged up against something, & then it needs a little piece of foam to get it even tighter.
you happen to have any pics of what you mean regarding the ram mount? i dont have a ton of dirt miles on my setup with the ipad on my rammount.

good to know regarding GAIA in baja, its worked really well for me everywhere else.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds