Grophy Kart for the Kiddos

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
What's up with this thing??
Sitting in the garage. I picked up the steering box from Mikey, I "just" need to put it in. Gonna require some fab work and time. I'm pretty busy right now (in school fulltime, coach polevault, was hired to build a large entry gate for a church in LA, and then I'll be building a couple large (25'x25'x5') rolling "shed"/enclosure things for the pole vault pit and high jump pits. Coaching and fab work are my income sources right now, so those take priority. I'll throw some pics up of the gate and sheds as they happen.

This looks like fun. Whats the estimated cost all in? 3k?
Nah. I think $1500-1600? All the metal I sourced from the remnant section. I don't think I bought one new piece of steel for this hah. Motor was like $350, wheels and tires were about $300, hubs and snouts were $220...

Ryan Jubera

Apr 12, 2008
Hemet
Gate looks nice. I like the top tube profile. Did u roll that top tube. If so what roller do u have?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
Hell yeah dude! That's a kick ass project in a tight shop!

How did you roll the small rings?

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Thanks guys.

Ryan, yes I rolled it with the HF tubing roller, SWAG dies for 1.75" square, and I copied the swag setup using the HF pipe threader to turn it. I probably won't ever roll anything out of 1.75" square again. It's at or beyond the capacity of the machine and it won't roll straight. It puts a pretty decent corkscrew in the material. It's actually a good thing I'm doubling up on tubes for the frame, because I was able to clamp them with their twists in opposite direction and get them stitch welded. That got a lot of the corkscrew out of it.

Bullnerd, thanks! I cheated and bought them from IMS in burbank. I think they're like 60 or 70 cents each and I bought 70 of them (a couple more than I needed)

The shop is kind of a mess right now lol. I'll have the first panel bondo'd up tomorrow and hopefully primered. I'll hopefully have all the fab work on the second panel completed tomorrow as well.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Thanks guys.

Ryan, yes I rolled it with the HF tubing roller, SWAG dies for 1.75" square, and I copied the swag setup using the HF pipe threader to turn it. I probably won't ever roll anything out of 1.75" square again. It's at or beyond the capacity of the machine and it won't roll straight. It puts a pretty decent corkscrew in the material. It's actually a good thing I'm doubling up on tubes for the frame, because I was able to clamp them with their twists in opposite direction and get them stitch welded. That got a lot of the corkscrew out of it.

Bullnerd, thanks! I cheated and bought them from IMS in burbank. I think they're like 60 or 70 cents each and I bought 70 of them (a couple more than I needed)

The shop is kind of a mess right now lol. I'll have the first panel bondo'd up tomorrow and hopefully primered. I'll hopefully have all the fab work on the second panel completed tomorrow as well.
Awesome work bodj!! Tell me more about the bondo work you’re going to do.... are you filling the cleavage between the two rolled tubes or something?

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Thanks other Ryan! Haha yup, filling the buttcrack between the square tubes. Also, due to the slight warpage of the rolled tubes, they don't meet the vertical tubes perfectly so I have to throw some lipstick on it. I got the first layer of bondo on this evening and sanded it back a bit. I think it'll look A-OK

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
So no updates on the kart, but the gate project is finally done. Took a while due to other commitments I have during the week (coaching, school, etc.). Anyways, I ended up fixing/modifying an old single pedestrian gate to now be a double swinging pedestrian gate, built 2 new panels (steel pieces on top of the wall), built a new pedestrian gate, modified the old gates to fit the sides of the driveway entrance, built the arms for the keypad boxes, built the gates and supports, and ran flexpipe everywhere necessary. Lots of long hours but I'm finally done with this project haha. I definitely underestimated the amount of work required lol.

Reactions: rojodiablo

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Also, HUGE thanks to only1mikey for cruising over to help load the gates into the uHaul. That was a headache in itself. I had the gates loaded up on our small trailer, which not only has crappy axle bias, but we were pretty maxed out on weight, with most of it behind the axle. Got 10 minutes down the freeway, decided to pick up a uHaul van and Mikey helped pull them off the trailer and into the van.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Sucks that none of my pictures work anymore. Oh well. Been just over a year since I started it. Finally got the brakes working (except the reservoir for the master cylinder is leaking now. Cheap rock auto unit). Took it to some dirt near my house and it's so fun! Not very fast, but the suspension and steering work great. Ended up frying a belt, ending the fun early. Got me pumped to keep it and keep working on it again, so I'll be searching for the right deal on an electric start 450 out of an atv most likely. I want more power, better throttle response, and an actual transmission with gears and neutral.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds