has anyone used the rustolium Steel-Tech Spray Paint?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
the seymour has been around longer than steel-it. People have been using it for restoration projects for a loooong time (i believe the 60's-70's but not 100%) Ive used seymour and love it, on paper its the same as steel-it, but seymour as a shinier finish to it. Its stainless steel flakes in a clear poly. my guess is steel-it uses colored poly and thats where the different finish comes from. I haven't welded on it yet to see if its as good in that department, but it should be the same. You can find it at autozone for $9 a can, worth it.

Reactions: Drayke and dose

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
I used the seymour to touch up my rear end after having some work done to it... to my understanding it was nickle plated prior... cant tell a huge difference in color, especially with some dirt and oil on it.

dose

Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
I bought some of the seymour stainless paint to try out on my links. I havent used steel it before so i cant compare but it seems like reviews were positive on amazon

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I used the seymour to touch up my rear end after having some work done to it... to my understanding it was nickle plated prior... cant tell a huge difference in color, especially with some dirt and oil on it.
thats what it reminded me of! nickel plating, just not as yellow or whatever you want to call it.

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
The Steel-It brand stuff actually works great. It lays down super nice and you don't have to use very much. However, it does not weld through very well. I tried, just to see. Anyone who welds will know...just clean the material to raw steel, period. But...it would weld okay if in a fucked area to get too if you couldn't clean it. Like most everything...the knock off's are just that; knock offs. But try it and report back, I would be curious. As I have always used the cheap ass glossy black $0.99/ can Home Depot paint.

Reactions: smokeysevin

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I used the Seymor recently on my shock body and reservoirs. Laid down great. I got two cans to do four shocks, but only used half a can and did multiple coats on each.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Used steel it on some shackles and leaf hangers. Wasn't that impressed. Still flaked off when torquing bolts. Sanded and prepped the metal. Wiped down with acetone. Shit still didn't stick. Rustoleum appliance epoxy or v.h.t. holds up better . I like the look of steel it but for the cost I can buy endura if I'm spraying more than what a can will cover.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds