Help with paddles

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

StrangerRanger121

Insta@heathens_and_co
Jul 3, 2020
Oklahoma
Those are dang good points. Thanks for the reply’s. Any experience with a skinny 10.50 AT tire in the sand or the wider tire been the go to. I’m leaning the skinny way for the power weight reduction. OHV is not a hot rod by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
If you want a paddle, do a Stu 13.00-15 or 13.00-15 paddle-a-trak. It’s a 30ish inch tall tire that will work well for the power you have. You want lower gearing out there to run as many gears as you can.

If you go AT, light wheel and I still say a 31-33” tire. Yes it ain’t gunna “look” cool but the truck will have more gear choice to keep wheel speed up and power going.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Those are dang good points. Thanks for the reply’s. Any experience with a skinny 10.50 AT tire in the sand or the wider tire been the go to. I’m leaning the skinny way for the power weight reduction. OHV is not a hot rod by any means.

I used to do Glamis in a 31-10.5 on an open diff 2wd Toyota. She went pretty much anywhere except straight up the big hills. I have a picture of it out in the middle of some crazy ass dunes. Keep the speed up and don't go straight over them.

In a 4wd solid axle 4Runner we were going up the steepest part of Comp. Had a guy come up to us asking what was in it. When we said a 22re with 275k he did not believe us. Popped the hood and he said he had the exact 4runner at home and could not believe it would do that.

Reactions: SoupGFX

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
If you have 4wd, you don’t need big power. We spent most of the time in 4low for the gear selection/rpm. We could easily go faster but had a stock samurai in the group and he wasn’t a gear jammer type guy lol

Reactions: SoupGFX

double-d

Jun 9, 2005
escondido
You'll go all through the dunes, with a 4.0 and a 5 speed just get 6.0 gears and a spool or Detroit. With them you can turn a 8 scoop 32 in paddle on a 15x10 wheel down the sand drags and pull 5th gear. I had some paddla traks, bought them used and lasted one trip, being a buggy tire the side walls couldn't handle the weight of a truck. That or they were just old pieces of shxt. But If your serious about getting paddles that will last go with skat-traks. Plus, out in the dunes they vaporize panties too :)

StrangerRanger121

Insta@heathens_and_co
Jul 3, 2020
Oklahoma
I’m really going to try to stay out of 4x4 since we’re ditching it anyway. It’s a arm now and I couldn’t afford or want the build time of a lot of travel and 4x4. I got a line on a pair of 32-12 CSTs used. Might pick those up cause I’m with you. Paddles would be dope even if not a huge advantage. If we can’t find a used pair then definitely going with a lighter wheel and tire package with an aggressive AT. Thanks for all the input everyone if I don’t forget I’ll post some results or something. I’m trying to get back to a dune trip twice a year

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds