Help with welding thread?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yep. To much heat (volts) and penetration (wire speed) will blow right thru the thin stuff.. Thinner wire will help with thinner material too. Sometimes you can get away with moving a little faster too.

No shame in pulsing when needed!! I pulse weld thin sheet metal, like the cab. Just don't do it on structural shit to "stack dimes" for aesthetics.

bpburnard05

Jul 6, 2014
yep. To much heat (volts) and penetration (wire speed) will blow right thru the thin stuff.. Thinner wire will help with thinner material too. Sometimes you can get away with moving a little faster too.

No shame in pulsing when needed!! I pulse weld thin sheet metal, like the cab. Just don't do it on structural shit to "stack dimes" for aesthetics.
Ok I see well I got some 1/8” to practice on also. A little step down from the 3/16 Trying to figure this out the best I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ yea. 1/8 welds like butta.

Not sure what .040 equates to... but for me anything thinner than like 18 gauge or so is when I might have to start trigger welding... depending on gaps, etc.

That's another thing you will notice.

Tight gaps seem to let you have a little more oomphh. Looser gaps blow out super fast. And make it harder to finish the job << haha. Just like the laaaddiiieeeesss.

bpburnard05

Jul 6, 2014
Well I’m taking baby steps.. the metal that started this process for me is 16 gauge tubing and that was burning through like no ones business. So that is 1/16 so that’s what I’m working towards. I making a rack for my work truck to hold some water jugs and it was working like crap for me

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Go to your local metal supply and dig through their remnant section. Stuff is way less expensive, much smaller lengths, and you can find material to build whatever small projects you have. Then you can use the cutoff pieces for more practice. The more consistent you weld, the better you'll get. If you practice 2 or 3 times a week for a month, you'll progress way faster than once a month over 6 years...

bpburnard05

Jul 6, 2014

So making a mount for one of our pest control sprayers right now, what’s up with the coating that is on the plate steel? Seems impossible to flap disk through it. Do i just weld through it or need to remove it?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds