Honda 2000 Generator Stuck Intake Valve

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Last minute of course... I had some issues a few weeks back getting her started. I went to clean out the suspected gunked up carb last night and put a fresh spark plug in to ensure it wasn't going to be an issue this weekend. Well that didn't do shit. So with a little research at like midnight last night I found some info on a Stuck Intake Valve. Put my finger over the spark plug hole and I'm assuming it's stuck open because it wasn't that much pressure.

With all of that said... I'm at work now and leaving to the desert after work. Think I would be able to pour anything into the cylinder head overnight that would help with unsticking the valve. Pour it out in the morning and hopefully she's a runner?

If not that then what can I do to get this bitch running tomorrow so I can use it to cook on my Traeger in the middle of nowhere.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
Blast it with piss!

If it's stuck part way open, better hope it hasn't met the piston yet. Stuck valve can turn into bent valve in a hurry, pretty much like the first time you crank it.

Reactions: SoupGFX

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
I think they have a compression release valve? That might be triggering. I know these fuckers will run on low compression and damn near forever.

Make sure the fuel pump is working. They get weak or quit and carb can’t get fuel.

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Update:

I took the cover off the top to see the valve and rocker arms. Indeed the Top Rocker arm was broken and the intake valve stuck. took rocker off and added some sea foam to valve and hammered her down... after that I couldn't get it up. (yes). I then found out that I could pry it back up by using the back end of the hammer. Did that like 20 times while the cylinder was filled with Sea Foam. Finally it was free and smooth to operate. Ejected the sea foam out of the cylinder, put the spark plug back in. I then had to weld up the rocker arm to the bolt and made sure the lash clearance was proper.

The bitch didn't start... Gave her like 50 solid pulls. Added starter fluid and nothing. Left it at home and went camping over the weekend and assumed it was just done.

Got home on Sunday and walked by it.. Gave her a tug and she acted like she wanted to start. Second pull.. Runs like a champ. I'm assuming the left over seafoam in the cylinder wouldn't let it run.

Going to run some seafoam in the gas a few times, clean out the carb, oil, and swap plugs again and hopefully no more issues in the future.

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Good to know. My BIL's Honda E2000 is having intermittent starting problems.

I think his valve may be sticking.

Sometimes it starts right up. Sometimes it won't start after 50-100 pulls.
I'd look into it now before it gets worse... I had mine running two weeks ago at the desert clean up. It wouldn't start after like 20 pulls, walked over and borrowed Elliot's... again was sad my didn't start so I gave her a few rips and she started right up.

If you can get your running I'd suggest just running some sea foam through it to clear it all out. Would be a lot easier then anything else.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds