How do you know if a part is cast or not?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So, my buddy and I had to get longer track bars for when we lifted our F250 Super Duty trucks (2013)

We were thinking about cutting and extending the stock one.. since the Ready Lift ones we got are pretty cheezy.

Here's where we get stuck though.... I don't know for sure what the stock bar is made of. From looking at it... it looks cast? But, I really don't know how to tell for sure.

Please enlighten a retard...

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
should see a mold line on them? i know cast ranger beams had a pretty well defined casting line. Typically forged material is smooth where cast is pitted material. to sum this up. no real idea, but i feel like it should be easy to determine?

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
+1
Surface finish & mold lines is generally what I look for, as Adam mentioned.

You could also theoretically try to do a spark test but I've found it difficult to figure out by that method since i don't do it frequently.

Reactions: smokeysevin

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
my eyes are telling me it's definitely cast.... seems like casting marks all over it... and not smooth. That's what's telling me NOT to even bother trying.

I don't think i have skills/experience for a definitive spark test...

I thought a weld test might work. Like hit it with the MIGGA and see how it reacts.

PS
Thanks drayke.. that link had some cool info!!

Reactions: Drayke

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Cast has a sharp seem, like 1/8" or less. Forged has a very wide seem, 1/2" or more.
What do you mean by seam? Like the edge of where a mold appears it was separated?

Not to derail your investigstion, but couldn't you make your own, new track bar?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
We could make one out of DOM, and get some bungs, and then some heims. The small problem at that point would be the spacers up at where the track bar connects to bracket. I'm sure you could find ones close in length and turn them down.

The big problem would be what to do down at axle side. It has a ball joint. So you would either have to machine some billet and make your own tapered holes.... OR.. you would have to machine or make some sort of clevis that gets pressed into where the BJ is. (That's what some aftermarket companies have done)

orrrr... if I knew what fucking material it was... maybe you can weld on that shit down at axle too?? If so, you could fashion up some tabs for heims

Reactions: circafwsk8r86

circafwsk8r86

Jan 23, 2014
I’ve been thinking about all this too. Been through a few track bars on my truck. I don’t like the ball joint. I ended up buying the Heim bar with the pressed in clevis. Haven’t got it yet tho. The guy wouldn’t sell me just the clevis. Have to draw it up or machine yourself

nickgbmx

OG Member
May 9, 2004
San Diego
Get a icon track bar only one worth a shit on the super duty icon part number 64035 if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I’ve been thinking about all this too. Been through a few track bars on my truck. I don’t like the ball joint. I ended up buying the Heim bar with the pressed in clevis. Haven’t got it yet tho. The guy wouldn’t sell me just the clevis. Have to draw it up or machine yourself
WHAT A BUNCH OF DICKS! LOL

Right now me and my buddy have the Rough country one. it's pretty damn shitty looking and i don't have confidence in it.

I haven't actually had any major problems... except if i kiss a curb too hard... it will knock the steering wheel out of alignment. Until I hit other side and knock it back. LOL

Get a icon track bar only one worth a shit on the super duty icon part number 64035 if I remember correctly
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea It's OK looking. Still not as nice as other ones with heims or uniballs on both ends.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds