i-gotta-Force it to go anywhere Tundra

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Got the big guessets in on the engine cage and added the last two tubes for the bedcage. Still waiting on the DMV so I can go smog it. Then it's time to pull apart the front end. My first year of teaching is almost done, so I should get some good progress on it in a week or so.

Attachments

dalandser

Sep 30, 2017
Wondering who bought this thing. Good progress so far! In the same boat without axles for my solo xlt on my truck - a cheaper option would be good if doable without buying $2k worth of otherwise unnecessary tools!

Might already have good fitting glass:

Last edited:
Reactions: the bodj

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Finally got it smogged and registered. Passed no problem. I put 42 miles on it and it drives great. Rear brakes are dragging slightly and I think it needs a little more caster, but solid overall. I'll be installing the new rear window today, then i can tear into the front end. I'll probably be rebuilding all the shocks, checking heims, and paint everything. Bedsides should be ready for pickup sometime this week, then i can paint all the fiberglass and it should be looking prettyyy slickkk

Attachments

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Way hot of a day today, but pulled apart the drivers side front suspension. I'll include some pics of the hack work for your viewing pleasure, and will post up how I clean it up as I do more work to it. The to-do list right now is to:

- Repaint control arms and spindle. All heims and uniballs are tight and lower control arm bushings are like new.
- rebuild coilovers and rear bypasses
- Finish cutting out hacked mess
- Add plating and make it look nice/be strong
- Replace the fuel line I knicked with the hackzall :/

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
These trucks have very few weak points but check your transmission crossmember while crawling around under there and welding. They crack. Mine is cracked right now all around the bolts. So bad that it clicks when drive/reverse. Just need my 220 hooked up so I can weld it up. It unbolts from the frame so easy fix.

Only other issues is rack bushings (rack in your case due to long travel) and the rear end. The limited slip ones last longer for some reason.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds