i-gotta-Force it to go anywhere Tundra

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
10,757
691
113
Moorpark
I know flanges like that aren’t nearly as instaflashy as interlocking tube clamps, but they are 69 time easier to remove and reinstall after a dezert pounding.

Very nice work. TIG lives matter.
Also 42.0x less expensive. But yes, the ability to install/remove them without being coplanar is quite helpful.

Thanks! I figured I would be a loser if I didn't TIG something on the truck...
 

DP_Ranger

Senior Member
Mar 13, 2010
1,343
98
48
dana point
Looks killer dude. Great work. Can’t wait to check this warlock out in person. My buddy has that kit on his truck, it works awesome. Solo did a really nice job with Flynn’s kit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: the bodj

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
10,757
691
113
Moorpark
With it in the street I was able to get some beauty shots. So stoked with how it’s all turning out! I still need to mess with the fuel door and add another bedside mount beneath the taillights, but I love it. Even my mom (who hated it when I brought it home) said she pulled up to the house and though “That’s a REALLY good looking truck. Whose is it?” And then she realized it was mine lol.

I just did a BTF install on one of my best friend’s explorer, so I had to get it out of the driveway for the weekend. I’ll post pictures and info about that in the next post, but now that that’s done I can get back to the tundra.Mount bypasses whenever the correct uniball cups come in, rebuild all the shocks, paint, and I’ll be pretty much done!
 

Attachments

  • Like
Reactions: yltaco05

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
10,757
691
113
Moorpark
Now for the BTF install...

it’s the basic LT kit (4.5” over per side) on a 4 door 1999 explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine. 2.5x8” coilovers with a 600lb spring I believe. He drove up from SD on Saturday morning and we began tearing it apart. Three 12+ hour days later and he drove off just a little ago. The kit actually cycled 14.75" but we limited droop a bit and have it at 13.625”

everything went fairly smooth except for three parts: the passenger shock hoop, the engine cross brace, andWhat nightmares those were. You can see in the pictures that the shock hoop has 5 distinct bends and is all made from one continuous tube without cutting/sleeving. We really wanted the shock tabs to land under the tube, as I’ve seen them rip the tube when mounted off the side. Andthere’s no way he was going to cut into the AC box. So a lot of finagling and moving what lines and hoses we could, and we got it to fit.
The second issue was the engine cross brace. That has 3 bends, two of which are coplanar, but I wasn’t able to get it in one shot lol. Ended up sleeving it, but it turned out great and was able to snake it past the AC junk. TIGGED on the tube flanges for style and to clear the bolt heads.
Cycling the shocks gave us a lot of trouble. We couldn’t find good locations for the lower or upper mounts that would put the coil over off to the side of the control arms to make room for a possible future bypass.
Bump stops are temporary till he gets hydro bumps and brings the truck back to have the rear built in a couple of weeks
Not pictured is the lower control arm mount cross brace I also built
 

Attachments

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds