Ivy

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Dumb question time! Ball park guesstimations for coilover spring rates on Straight axle ranger ranger with 4.0? Anyone? Too lazy and uneducated to do it myself but I read some where the front wheels 1,100 lbs per tire of unsprung weight. That should be close enough for a go slow application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
So a similar application, is running 200x18 over 100x16. What would that be for a 12” coilover? With a 14” upper, and 10 or 12” upper?

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
How much different can a solid axle be from say, a ttb setup, in regards to spring rate? I run 12" 350 over 16" 350 on a 14" stroke coilover. It may way more than your setup with the cage and all.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Easy fellas, don’t all reply at one time! Looks like it’s time to switch to pirate4x4, sheesh.

Sorry man. Apparently there isn’t an extensive SAS knowledge base on this brobrobro prerunner site.

I’d guess 10” 200 over 14” 300 on a 12” stroke swayaway, or 12” 200 over 14” 300 on fox or king.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
I’d try 200 over 200 or 200 over 300 like mentioned. The difference between a TTB application vs a straight axle is leverage. Beams have leverage on the shocks because there is a solid pivot point on the chassis, then the shock mounts, and then the tire vs the straight axle is tire, shock mount, shock mount, and tire. There is no mechanical advantage in the design unless you move the shock mounts onto the radius arms. That’s actually something i have always wanted to try; running an 8” or maybe a 10” coilover on the radius kind of like a reverse lower link setup. An 8” shock mounted 6-8” up the radius should net you 14” of wheel travel or so, however it’ll start to get in the way of tires steering if your links are wide on the axle side.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Sweet thanks guys, looks like I got a good starting point. I got in touch with a guy who used to be on here with the yellow straight axle ranger. He suggested 200/250. So looks like the consensus is all pretty close to that.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Took ivy out for Easter fun. Didn’t really take any pictures... and got one video but I don’t want to jump through the hoops to post it here.

A little ivy update.... the rear doesn’t have enough compression valving. But she made it through another full day of taking a beating, and drove down the freeway at 70 mph all the way home. This truck just continues to take a beating and keep on going. Which is why this thread gets no love.... but I sure do love the truck.

We had an awesome day, with a ton of friends, family, kids, quads, dirt bikes, sxs’s. What a great Easter! Hope everyone else had a good one too!

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Drove the truck to work yesterday and had an interesting issue on the way home. The gas pedal fell off.... haha. Apparently the bracket that holds the pedal on is spot welded to the fire wall. The spot welds broke off. So I used a piece of wire, tied it to the cable barrel, and drove home with a pull wire. :cool:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds