The steering box decided to DNF at the M.O.R.E. race last month so since I had a little less hw this weekend I decided to start tearing the steering apart to start getting the truck ready for my birthday trip in a few weeks. We are going to be prepping the front end and putting a new steering box in as well. It's been awhile since I've taken the steering off so I took some pics. This is just a precursor of what is to come since we are going to be building a new front kit before we sell her. Planning to put a bypass on the front and bump off the spindle (reason being I want to keep that front kit).
She definitely needs a little love. I have 3 weekes left of school before summer vacation, so after the DR trip she will be getting some love.
So we took the truck out for my 30th last month and had a blast. On one of our runs at about 3-4am we lost the nut for the upper arm so we had to do a quick "trail fix" at the gas station. Luckily it held up and we made it back to camp and put a Stover nut in the am.
We took the truck out again last weekend for the race and she did great. She's definitely a fun truck. Since we got the explorer as my dd for school, I hadn't been driving her as much but I've been dding her again to take our son to school and I've almost considered not selling her... Almost.
We are planning on putting the truck up for sale this summer so that we can start working on my new truck.
A few months ago the husband and I designed new LCAs for the truck (I want to keep the og ones and I'm stubborn) we also plan on putting bypasses up front as well so we are going to be giving her some upgrades. We were able to get one of the new arms cut out a couple of days ago and I got all the plates cleaned up so that we can get it all tacked hopefully by the end of this week. I'm glad to be able to work out in the shop again and put my new welding helmet to work. The last 8 months have been rough with school so the next 4 months of my summer vacation are going to be busy. I'm so happy to be back, it feels like I've been M.I.A.
I started putting the new LCAs together with the husband's help. I started tacking the driver's side arm last weekend and got the passenger side bottom plate and inner bracing tacked yesterday evening. Trying to get the passenger side LCA to the same stage as the driver's side LCA so that I can start welding them up. I'm hoping to have them fully welded by the weekend.
Both LCAs are roughly 95% welded (root pass). Still need to weld the uniball cups and bushings and then I'll be able to second pass the arms. I'm pretty proud of myself for tackling these pretty much on my own. The husband helped some with bending the plates and helping me clamp them so I could tack them, he also helped teach me how to second pass the arms. I'm stoked on getting these done because the quicker we get the truck done the faster I can start on building the beams for the f250. I still plan on center mounting that truck but want to get it driveable and looking clean for now and once I graduate/start working we plan to fully build her.
Here's a teaser.
Not too different. Original arms were set up for 35" tires, these arms push the tires forward 3/4" more than the old ones to clear 37"s. We also put a kick in them to sink the shocks down more to have more clearance on the brake booster since we are running 12" shocks up front. We're building new uppers as well as redoing the engine cage to mount a bypass and bump off the upper or spindle. Fun stuff.