Jimmy Jr, another 1st gen 4runner build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
One stake nut on mine keeps coming loose no matter what I tried. SO a little tack weld and no more problems... Until I need to replace that bushing that is.

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca
So its been a while since Ive added anything new to the thread.
Before we took the ridgecrest trip I ended up putting a TC gen II kit on the front, reusing the 8" double bypasses that were on it before, and just adding some 8" king emulsion coilovers to it. To be honest I dont notice any performance gains, but I dont have that fear in the back of my mind of breaking a torsion socket or something while out in the middle of no where. I also added the TC king kong steering, so hopefully I wont have any steering problems.
Since its been up and going weve taken it on a handful of trips: ridgecrest to mono lake (thread in the "trips" section), the mojave road (also a thread in trips), san felipe, and a trip up to utah. In between those trips it also sees some short runs of dirt here and there since I live in the middle of the desert. *knock on wood* so far its been trouble-free and brought us home every time. On this last trip to utah Ive noticed a "humm" type of noise right when the truck hits that brief point between "deceleration" and "acceleration". Im still trying to find the cause.
Also, it just passed its 1st smog test since the 'ref'... it passed like a brand new truck!
anyways, since everyone likes pictures-
I took it over to RJ fab in hesperia and Brandon whipped me up a bumper as well as a few other odds and ends.

I need to get it back over to him/them for some other ideas Ive got brewing. I could use a rear bumper so Im not so scared to do 3 point turns on tight trails, and a roof rack for the tent kot.
from the ridgecrest to mono lake trip
mojave road trip
san felipe
utah trip.

Thats about it for now. Not much of an update, just using it like its supposed to be used. I still need to hit up Howe and talk to them about a rebuilt steering box. Im on my 2nd oreilly box and its its getting pretty sloppy.

Attachments

Reactions: Tanker Kranker

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca
Bump!

After 4.5 YEARS, this thing went for its 1st drive on the street again!

Long story short: The cantilever suffered catastrophic failure due to some Robby Gordon-esque driving and a lack of maintenance on my part. Pretty much moth-balled the truck after that and got back into dual sports, changed positions at work, changed positions again, etc.

The one thing I need to address pronto is the extremely shitty stereo thats in it. Just stepped into 2021 and put a bluetooth headunit in it. Been rocking 2 polk 6.5" speakers in some homemade mounts off the cage since the cage got done and for whatever reason back then I thought it was do-able. A 30 minute drive in it today had me in tears, holy shit does it suck haha. Anybody have any experience with putting wakeboard pod/tower speakers in anything? Im thinking either the "bazooka tubbies" ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_204MT8100B/Bazooka-MT8100B-Tubbies-Pair-Black.html ) OR clarion ( https://www.crutchfield.com/p_0201624TB/Clarion-CM1624T-Black.html ) offerings that are cheaper, along with an amp to push em. I just need decent, not looking to win any sound competitions - just need good enough for when driving it to and from the desert, mexico, etc.

Also got the steering box rebuilt by minhworx hoping to get rid of the wandering that it used to do on the hwy. It didnt work. Going to play with tire pressures and see if that has anything to do with it. Ive always ran 20-24psi in the tires (33x12.50r 15s), maybe bumping it up to 30psi will make a noticeable difference, fingers crossed. Got it aligned at Tucker tire in Covina a few weeks ago, so hoping thats not the issue.

Attachments

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds