JustNCase I needed a new project ... "BroDaddy"

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Saturdays are for the Bro's. Made some good progress. Hmm what's going on here!?

Hung doors.

Driver door...

Someone did some sick ass duct tape repair work before us. LOL

Then it was time to trim B-pillars fully in place... What happened here Justin?? I said don't cut too much. "hey man, that was my first cut... i got way better as I went on!"

I guess he was right, because this one looks great after some massaging... like perfect.

And then started on the c-pillars.... took it slower on the first one.

And then we got more aggressive on the driver side. Me: "Here cut on this line" ? Him: Uhhh WTF. Where??? hahaha.

Well son of a bitch... fucking nailed it (this was the first cut on d-side!)

And tuned that bitch in

Windows all seem good so far...

insides good for most part too.

Except that god damn first cut ya BROZO!

Then we pulled out my portable bender... and started the a-pillars. Got both almost done. Just need to trim a tiny bit off and put in sleeves

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
A-pillars are ready to be sleeved. Had to re-do tubes because I was one inch short. Story of my life. Turns out to get top tube perfectly straight... we had to remove some more material from inside of roof... and raise up front of a-pillar.

FYI: Sleeves turning out to be difficult too. The tubes are warped from welds at the top of b-pilla's. He was dildo grinding inside them. Had seemed to have a few fun moments... bending a couple of the carbide tools up. lol. Doesn't look like we will quite get to 4" deep.. but close. Again story of my life. HAHA.

Gonna be fun trying to slide a tube back over... I saw once where jubera slotted a tube and welded on a stub to use as handle to knock sleeve over. We'll see if we have to get to that point

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got the a-pillars done.. Somehow it went pretty easy! We were able to slide the tubes over fairly easy. First one was cake and got it 50/50 deep on 8" splice within a minute, second one was a little harder and didn't quite get it to 50/50, but close enough. Just used a chisel in plug weld holes to knock it over

Also finished up crack repairs. We fixed his welder (my old Hobart 180). New gun/lead and it runs great. Problem is... I forgot all the settings. haha. So re-learning that

And big ole 3/16" gussets. Now all we need to do is connect engine cage to lower window bar... and maybe this will last.

And what do we have here?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
One day of work... some decent progress. A-pillars are fully positioned and welded.

Started upper windshield "halo" and roof tubes/diags. An astute viewer will notice that we are switching the cage design to how I did them on Ghetto trucks 2, 3, and 4. This will give him a little more head room... and also positions the upper halo a bit further forward, which will reduce the angle on the "V-Bars". It didn't end up being quite as far forward as the others... because his a-pillar is a little further back than how I design them, but still a little better IMO.

What was great about that... is I have all the dimensions in PAD! So, we were able to make fairly quick work on those tubes.

We need to get a hold of Jack at Bent tube ASAP too... because we gonna need his beam soon!

Roof tubes were just a little shorter than the other trucks, because of what I mentioned above

Center tube is fully welded in the back. So now all we need to do now is fine tune the driver side tube (it's a bit long still).... and then the top will be done.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
If I didn't fuck up one of the gusset notches on a-pillar.... we would have all top done except gussets at b-pillar.

But will be done with those soon.... and got window "A" bars done. (no pics yet)

Still haven't figured out settings. Think these are just too damn high. Might need to step down a bit. Was getting lots of splatter... but turning up wire speed basically made welds really fat.... and just seem a bit too much. I suppose hotter is safer? Need to test on some scrap but don't want to waste time either.

Baby parties etc, are hindering our progress here.... but doing what we can to force some progress. Note to you young whipper snappers. Getting married and having kids will 110% affect your hobbies.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Been plugging away at this thing. Lost some photos on my old phone... but no biggie.

You can see here we finished all the cage work. The "A bars" are now tied into the front engine cage using 1.75 x .120. Had to put 2 bends in them to clear... and had to lose the passenger side wiper. But, this should help stop those outside corners from cracking.... along with the gusset.

We also got all tabs on for dome lights, the rear view mirror... and also the oh shit handle done too. And if you look closely... you will see the firewall is no longer swiss cheese. Only need to patch where all tubes go thru now. It was never addressed before...

He also has put sound damper on the roof (noico black 80 mil) and is going to put Noico Red 150mil foam over that. This thing is gonna be nicer than ever with all these little uppppgraayyyyyyyeeedddzzz.

Should be getting beam squared away this week.... Hopefully we can get the roof on permanently here soon. That will be some good progress.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
I *think* we made good progress on this one this weekend. We will see when we try to put back window in. Justin said he couldn't get it in last night (giggity)... but I know there is still a ton of weldment. Hopefully we didn't fuck up.

We had checked this all before... but maybe shit moved around when putting it on for good? Hopefully not. I dont want to have to cut the c-pillar bottom again to raise it like 1/8" He is going to check tonight.

otherwise... roof is done. Butyl and foam.

And cage painted

Patches O Hoolihan started

And roof going on

This side is allegedly the potential issue side... I think there is a bunch of weldment up top. If not, well... nothing a sawzall and some metal glue can't fix

Sooo, it is on hopefully on forever

And he got Da Beam and some brackets...

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Always forget to update this old feller. I believe all the cab is blended, all holes patched now too at a-pillar area. Gonna be much better than before.

That OG cut required a mini-patch

We cut old beams apart. to see how it was welded.

I wasn't done 100%. Not sure how much difference it would make... but it seemed to bend right at where the un-welded spots overlapped.

I decided to weld the outer plate 100%. The deep pockets were a bit tough. Wish I had a bent/smashed nozzle... and couldn't find my old one.

bottom rib to outer plate

Did the box last night just needs bung and top plate, and radius arm mounts.

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Truck explosion. Had to pull housing to weld up some spots that were leaking on the GMR housing. (right at corners of housing plate to tube junction) Also doing major prep because everything was old and crusted up big time.

The kelfab files are just a weee bit off.... but super easy to fix.

Well that taint right!? So, cut off end and notched a little and bent ears down.

After fixing that.... I had pleasure of lunch time fab yesterday. Welds come out pretty good. 3/16" open corners on most of it.

What I did to try to keep heat down was weld one side of edge, then do opposing side of edge... then do opposite end of beam the same way. Then let it cool. Then do that again and again working to center. This took quite a bit of flipping the beam in the vise, and even managed to burn my arm once... but I wanted to try to avoid warpage. Bummer part is.. I think I warped the bung a little with internal welds. We need to chase it with a tap. The heim wants to get stuck and I aint gonna go down that road. He is gonna see if his work has one to borrow. (1.25" - 12)

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
if you got an old heim, cut a slot up the threads of the heim in 2 or 4 places (as straight up the threads as you can), put some anti-seize on the threads and thread it in. the cuts will work like a tap and help clean out the threads. unless its really fucked in which case, you need a tap

Reactions: FasterNU

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds