Leaf Spring Traction Bars

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
Phoenix
I want to reduce, or get rid of axle wrap on my 1997 Ranger that has spring over Deaver F31s netting ~14” travel.

I remember Ovrebo putting some on his “Stupid Titan” but the photobucket pictures wouldn’t load in his build thread.

I am unsure on where the mouting location should be on the bottom frame. In other words how long the bar should be.

My plan is mount a heim under the axle on both sides in line with the frame, then have poly bushings mounted under the frame. Should I line it up with the front leaf spring mount, or farther forward for a longer track bar. Most street trucks have longer ones. Not sure if thats correct for long travel. Thanks.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
yeah i thought it was strange also, but as far as mounting anywhere inline or forward of the front leaf bolt is fine.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
You will need to cycle it to get every thing right. For length, start with the distance from the front of the spring perch to the front leaf eye at ride height. Then do the CAD and cycle it. Look at the Autofab ones and you will see what I mean.

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
Phoenix
Thanks for the replies. There is no lift block, just longer than stock shackles with the rear shackle hanger moved back to the rear holes. Ive noticed it a lot on the street when I try spinning the tires with the brake on. The rear end goes full stink bug and goes to full droop, and a little in the dirt from the bump strikers hitting the bump bad in weird spots. Alrite, looks like short ones are the right way then. Ill definitely cycle it and see what happens and document it better there.

austen2019

Oct 15, 2018
mission viejo
also make sure you torque the u bolts makes a big difference ask dealer what they need to be torqued at... also ruffstuffspecialties sells a awesome track bar with shackle for a very fair price

Reactions: ucd baja

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
Phoenix
I did see ruffstuff's kits, but I would rather build it myself to save some money. I do like buying from them, and bought heims and bushings already.
As far as the shackle type track bars, I cant picture how that would eliminate axle wrap, since the shackle can rotate. But like you said it probably does not bind.
However it might limit it enough, to not be noticeable.
I dunno, what the hell do i know, I still flux core shit and have leafsprings on a truck that is driveable right now and all I want is for it to be in the driveway on jackstands.

Reactions: Turboyota

rangerjosh

Sep 4, 2009
i think ruffstuff also makes a spring perch that is longer and is supposed to help also. when i put a fullsize 8.8 in my old ranger it helped. I was also running the chevy64 junkyard spring combo spring over

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
The shackle style works by trying to compress the shackle into the frame. As the rear end tries to rotate up during axle wrap, the traction bar will rotate up (since a shackle style will have 2 fixed points on the rear end) but won't be able to since its pushing against the shackle. The shackle would stay pretty vertical throughout travel. I would try that style before a i put a bind bar on my leafs lol.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds