Legalities of wearing a helmet/ headsets in a vehicle?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
Does anyone know the specific legalities of wearing a helmet or headsets in a vehicle. I assume both are illegal. I called my local CHP and they hung up on me twice...so...does anyone know?

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
www.facebook.com
Going by the fact that wearing earbuds in more than one ear is illegal. I'm willing to bet any headsets or helmets are illegal. Only helmet I can think of would be one that leaves the ears exposed for hearing traffic and sirens, etc.

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
I totally agree with you Mikey. I just don't want to be pulled over for a silly mistake.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
i was planning to get a single ear headset for street driving, was told that was perfectly legal. plans changed and never did it, and now i don't remember why i wanted to in the first place lol

also when working at outlaw doing the raptor runs, we would be on the road for some small sections between trails sometimes, we required helmets in the dirt, most left them on the whole time, no one got rousted for it.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
headsets are illegal. you can only have an ear bud or whatever in one ear. helmet? not sure why youd wanna do that probably illegal for the same reason. unless youre wearing your scooter helmet

Reactions: jeepspeed

Klever

Aug 21, 2008
I appreciate the rapid replies. All makes sense. My truck is way too loud even with dual mufflers. So looks like I will rarely drive it on the street. I just figured in the dirt I/passengers will always wear helmets. Trying to figure if I should get both headsets and helmets.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
have you tried some sound deadener? i did my entire cab in second skin and it made the world of difference. i tried cheap amazon stuff first and i couldnt have a conversation with my passenger, now with second skin i make a call using the bluetooth stereo on the freeway

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds