Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Mulled it over more and brought out the scale. Here’s the weight comparison for anyone who needs a rear and wants to stay budget friendly.

The below weights are just for the gears and housing, that is, no axles, hubs, snouts, etc.

Stock 9” w/ rear truss: 150 ibs

Sterling 10.25: 225 ibs

Ruff stuff housing, no truss: 180 ibs

No as bad as I thought and much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: themoneypit

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
I like it. I see no issues with the sterling/14 bolt options in a full size personally. A bit heavy and lacking the bling factor? Well yeah, but stock full-floater versions are leagues above the average junkyard 9 inch in strength.

I probably wouldn't put one in a mini truck though.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
I like it. I see no issues with the sterling/14 bolt options in a full size personally. A bit heavy and lacking the bling factor? Well yeah, but stock full-floater versions are leagues above the average junkyard 9 inch in strength.

I probably wouldn't put one in a mini truck though.
I used a 14 bolt on my old 4 linked silverado and it worked amazing for me!

Reactions: littlebird

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
anyone have the pics of the ole trussed up Sterling tie fighter 10.5... from who was it ggranger or something? He got a lot of shit for that... and well a boatload of other reasons. HAHAH

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
A 5 lug Sterling D60 abomination is borne.

My Tig machine maxes out at 175amps. Would appreciate input from veterans on whether to have a shop I trust with a bigger machine weld in the snouts.

If I did it myself, my plan was to preheat and pin the pedal and triple pass the snout/tube perimeter, and then pin it again on the plug welds.

axle tube wall is .5" thick and snout wall about the same.

Thoughts?

Reactions: themoneypit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds