Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
I've ran longer upper links to get the pinion to point at driveline for a cv double carden joint before. And I've had shorter upper links to keep pinion change to minimum. Totally different anti squat % and I couldn't tell a difference when driving it at all.

Reactions: littlebird

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
The old quarter elliptical 4-link set-ups always intrigued me and in light of the 19 week and only going up backorder with King shocks I got to thinking.

Honest opinions on the below set up, if that is you can force yourself to take it seriously lol.

The frame on this truck is staying skorpion like this for various reasons. In sum, the below setup involves a 4-link that is sprung by a Deaver q80 that attaches to the lower link via a linkage with a heim on top and clevis on the bottom. Theoretically you can spin the linkage like you would an upper link for ride height adjustment. The front spring hanger would be raised upward to match the original rear mounts new location. Pictured bypass orientation is horrible so ignore that. Q80 is generally considered too stiff for a truck, but in this setup it could ostensibly be ok given the mounting location on the link vs the axle.

I want o drive this truck everywhere when it's done, presumably what this setup loses in offroad capability it gains in street-ability.

Have I lost my mind? lol

Reactions: jonsangel

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
You would need a custom spring to take advantage of that with the pins centered. You could then weld mounting blocks to the arms and lower everything down. Double shackle and you set.

Air bags would be way easier and less maintenance/weight/more adjustable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horunner

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
No idea if this guy did it right or not, just saw it on IG, maybe get some ideas.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
With the leverage from the Clevis and link applied to the leaf springs, you will need a much heavier rate spring pack to compensate.
I agree with what Marcel said and find some used coilovers, or just order new and start throwing tubes while you wait for them to arrive. If you’re dead set on the quarter elliptical leaf setup, I’d stick to a more proven design. That setup you drew above could cause some issues with the leafs walking side to side as the axle articulates and the clevis link changes angles.

If you wanna do something really crazy than you should look into the older dirt bikes and build a full floating rear Shock setup. It could utilize your current trailing arms and give you extra shaft speed toward bump if you make the ratios correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: littlebird

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Probably just gonna stick with some 3.0x18's from King. Goal is to drive the bird by June, shocks should be ready by May, unless I can find some nice used ones.

Reactions: themoneypit

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds