Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Couldn't agree with this more. I have been hit up for side work many times. My response. Hey, if you want to come over and drink beers.... and bring your own metal. If you are responsible/respectful/cool....I will let you use my tools and even help and teach you some shit.

I know better then to take my hobby and turn it into a job. Because to me, once I am FORCED to do something, it's no longer fun for me. A hobby is a hobby and a job is a job. Some people can blur those lines.. but for me, no way. Not to mention... fab is hot, dirty, and hard ass work. And not the healthiest either.

Sitting here at my desk getting paid well and wasting company time in AC is a pretty sweet gig. I can't imagine having to fab right now. All I need to do today is cut and paste some shit into some quotes and hit the send button on an email. Maybe have to make a couple phone calls too. Oh man, tough day. LOL
We must have the same job. But I had 3 back to back calls today so that sucked.

I see the same with racing also. A lot of friends went into racing and they cant really go to the dez and enjoy it. Now they are either working on the race truck, or the race truck is prepped and ready so they cant take it out or... Last time I saw my buddy out in the dez he was testing and he commented about 3 times how he wanted to get a little beater Toyota to go have fun in. Meanwhile I am drooling over his race truck driving my little off road 4runner.

I would not mind doing 1 or 2 but no interest in being competitive and making a real go at racing.

Reactions: themoneypit

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Couldn't agree with this more. I have been hit up for side work many times. My response. Hey, if you want to come over and drink beers.... and bring your own metal. If you are responsible/respectful/cool....I will let you use my tools and even help and teach you some shit.

I know better then to take my hobby and turn it into a job. Because to me, once I am FORCED to do something, it's no longer fun for me. A hobby is a hobby and a job is a job. Some people can blur those lines.. but for me, no way. Not to mention... fab is hot, dirty, and hard ass work. And not the healthiest either.

Sitting here at my desk getting paid well and wasting company time in AC is a pretty sweet gig. I can't imagine having to fab right now. All I need to do today is cut and paste some shit into some quotes and hit the send button on an email. Maybe have to make a couple phone calls too. Oh man, tough day. LOL
I wholeheartedly agree with FatterGNU and Marcy. I put myself(and the exwife, for that matter) through college working as a machinist/fabricator/composite technician.

Money was shitty. Grinding metal, fiberglass and carbon fiber all day fucking sucks, the working conditions are hot and miserable, and the last thing I wanted to do when I got home after a 14 hour day was pick up a grinder, sweat my dick off and breathe more dust and fumes.

Fast forward through life(and college—what a fucking blur that was)... now I sit in a nice air conditioned office, attend design reviews, call in to telecons, go to meetings, brainstorm design ideas, draw creative shit on the whiteboard, engineer cool shit, and take nice long lunch breaks. I have the energy and motivation to build stuff when I get home. I am able to thoroughly enjoy, fuck, I’m able to SAVOR the hands-on creative outlet immensely.

Many of the welders where I work came from the offroad industry. They got burned out and were looking for health benefits, retirement plans, pensions, company-backed life insurance, etc... Point being, offroad industry doesn’t pay real well, the days are long, and there aren’t very many shops that offer any benefits to speak of.

Are you going to be able to swing a hammer when you’re 65? Repetitive manual labor takes a major toll on your body.

Let’s talk money:
————
Entry level welder/fabber: $13-$17/hr
High-end experienced fabricator(aerospace): $30-$40/hr

Engineering/Computer Science:
Entry: $75-80K
Experienced: $130-$180K+

Money isn’t everything, and desk jobs aren’t for everyone. Not everyone can stare at a computer all goddamn day.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I had a desk job doing sales and my fab shop on the side. My problem was that I would work 8-5 and then 6-10 everyday and weekends so I could get the projects done, my own or customers. I now do the fab side for a living and still enjoy it but I only work 8-5 and rarely on weekends. BUT i am busy and now my personal projects don't ever get worked on Because i don't want to work after 5 or 6 everyday. Once i get setup at home shop i'll work on customers projects 3-4 days a week and my own 1-2 days a week so I can get my stuff done one day.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ Yea, i think sitting down and staring at the computer all day is why I come home so god damn motivated to work on my truck every night!!

Pro tip.
My standing desk in my office has been a game changer. I can't believe I waited so long to get a desk that Ican sit or stand at ... and a yoga ball.

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Agreed wholeheartedly. My desk job is the #1 reason I can't wait to get back into the garage. I work in IT, so eight hours of work produces nothing tangible. Doesn't feel like I'm achieving anything "real".

Sometimes you just want to use your hands to get shit done, so back to the garage I go.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Pine River Mn
Typically I agree with my desk job being why I go home and thrash in the garage daily... Except for it's summer in vegas and well, 105° in the garage is killing my motivation! I've been procrastinating about an hour of grinding I need to do on my truck for about 2 weeks now. I'm waiting for a cold wave to come thru!!! LOL

NODNARB

Mega Member
Aug 18, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
www.btf-fabrication.com
I’m assuming it was you I made some ttb’s for? Not many people in New York building prerunners.

I’ll add to the list of keeping your hobby a hobby. It’s way more enjoyable that way. I do still enjoy what i do, but the lack of money and stress that goes along with it filters out a lot of people. It’s not easy, so a lot of shops come and go pretty quick.

When I had an office job I had free weekends, and time after work to play with trucks. Not so much nowadays.

Looks like you’re getting where you want to be on the truck, if it was you, I know we went back and forth a lot on the ride height thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Agreed wholeheartedly. My desk job is the #1 reason I can't wait to get back into the garage. I work in IT, so eight hours of work produces nothing tangible. Doesn't feel like I'm achieving anything "real".

Sometimes you just want to use your hands to get shit done, so back to the garage I go.

LOL> I do IT sales. I just had a a customer who couldn't get a 100K DR system installed before the Dell warranty expired in 3 Yrs. We just renewed the warranty and it finally got installed. hahhah

It's crazy how much money I see wasted by corporations. And you guys definitely wouldn't be too happy with some government run places. I'm talking millions of tax payer dollars just lit on fire.

Kills me... cuz half of me is like, well... I'm getting paid!
Other half is like... wait man, I'm still paying for that! (when i get my tax bill)

OK, I think we have all completely derailed this build thread!

Where's the progress pics? LOL.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds