Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Made a video a couple months ago explaining how I kicked the frame on the Bird, but didn't post it here cus I figured nobody cared anyway LOL.

Anyway, now that @85yota is making videos again I'm feeling inspired, might make a few more down the road.

If I sound like a know-it-all it's cus im trying to explain things in a way the average Youtuber can understand not the DR big brains.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Wife wants to remodel the kitchen, but there’s water damage in the floor that needs to be fixed first. Garage is below the kitchen. Truck needs to be able to roll out of garage to fix the floor/ceiling. Truck needs more attention. Wife’s orders!

Motor and trans mock installed.

Need to tab the rear axle, set up the upper links/pivots, and build rear cage work.

Drive line angle is about 5.5 degrees. Since truck’s a super cab it will need a 2 piece drive shaft to make the main drive shaft pivot where the links do.

Trans has a fixed yoke.

Questions:

Should the carrier bearing also be pitched at 5.5 degrees?

Any carrier bearing recommendations for this application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
One the visual cons of kicking the frame the way I did is the axle no longer bumps under the frame arch like it should, however, this is obscured by the presence of the shock at the wheel arch’s new location. The shock also benefits from the inward recess in the frame at the arch.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
From what I've heard minimum upper link length should be 60% of lower link length on a generic 4 link. I've also heard in regard to prerunners minimum upper link length is more like 80% of lower link length.

If I can get the anti-squat value where I want it, as well as proper upper link triangulation, all while running upper links at 60% of lower link length, is there a down side to running the shorter uppers? More pinion angle change through travel, for example?

Really want to avoid switching to pan hard style 4 link, especially if 60% uppers will function well enough through ~21" of rear travel.

Packaging constraints make short uppers a necessity if I stick with triangulated 4 link.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Short uppers=lots of pinion change=lots of squat. Great if you don't have any weight back there. Not so great if you're at 60% rear weight bias.
Where would you put the minimum percentage for upper length in relation to lower on a typical prerunner; 70%, 80%?

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
80% minimum
that's what I did and wish I made them even longer, The pinion really starts to point down when you get into the droop.

60% is probably fine for street cars that have minimal travel

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds