Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
LOL> I do IT sales. I just had a a customer who couldn't get a 100K DR system installed before the Dell warranty expired in 3 Yrs. We just renewed the warranty and it finally got installed. hahhah

It's crazy how much money I see wasted by corporations. And you guys definitely wouldn't be too happy with some government run places. I'm talking millions of tax payer dollars just lit on fire.

Kills me... cuz half of me is like, well... I'm getting paid!
Other half is like... wait man, I'm still paying for that! (when i get my tax bill)

OK, I think we have all completely derailed this build thread!

Where's the progress pics? LOL.
My SW company deals with Gov't also. So much waste

Canks

OG Member
Mar 21, 2003
San Diego (Clairemont), CA
LOL> I do IT sales. I just had a a customer who couldn't get a 100K DR system installed before the Dell warranty expired in 3 Yrs. We just renewed the warranty and it finally got installed. hahhah

It's crazy how much money I see wasted by corporations. And you guys definitely wouldn't be too happy with some government run places. I'm talking millions of tax payer dollars just lit on fire.

Kills me... cuz half of me is like, well... I'm getting paid!
Other half is like... wait man, I'm still paying for that! (when i get my tax bill)

OK, I think we have all completely derailed this build thread!

Where's the progress pics? LOL.
My SW company deals with Gov't also. So much waste

I'll triple that. We hold the contract to supply the entire federal government and Military with compressed gasses, the amount of unused untouched product that comes back is impressive. Especially the high dollar refrigerants, helium, spec gasses etc. All with original tamper seals in place..... Worst things that hurt are the containers that come back to us from over seas middle east/Iraq etc. that have one pallet in them. Shipping an entire container to the other side of the world with one pallet in it is ridiculous... Unfortunately we have no control over the origination of the return shipments.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Thanks to everyone who gave advice and shared their experience, anecdotes, and humor. Before the Econoline bulkhead could be plated into the frame rails I had to cut the TTB bulkhead out. This involved removing the factory rivets and cutting the welds which joined the TTB bulkhead to the frame rails.

The rivets alone are annoying to remove, but especially so when you are trying not to damage the material around each one. Each rivet took anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes depending on the location and how much it had bloomed inside the hole when it was installed cherry red.

Worse was removing the welds that joined the bulk head to the inner walls of the frame rails. I had to cut them using a carbide burr bit on a what is basically a big 7 amp dremel made by Makita because of how hard they are to reach. This took a few hours and 4 carbides worth of laying on the ground doing what felt like meticulous dental work on the welds while trying not to cut into the frame rail. I love the tool and it's versatility, and overall the job went better than expected, but it made an absolute mess, flinging thousands of razor sharp shards everywhere, and all over me. Each one likely to lead to hospital visit if it got in your eye.

I don't think I'd like to ever do that again, let alone for a customer.

There is definitely a much less glamorous side to fab work that you won't see on Instagram.

After reading your posts I'm going to listen to the pretty strong consensus that one should keep their hobby, a hobby. After putting it off since May I registered for my graduate courses in computer science this Fall.

One existential crisis straightened out.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Those shards are the worst. I have ruined several pairs of gloves because once they get in the cloth, you just get turned into a pin cushon.

How do you like the makita grinder? Is it the variable speed one?

On a side note, good luck in the fall. I had a roundabout experience with school as well though due to different circumstances. It only took me 10 years and a B.A. in History to finish my mechanical engineering degree.

Sean

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I love building things, but I just finished my teaching credential and will begin teaching in a month. As a teacher, it's pretty cool because you still get paid for the two-ish months you're off for summer (salary). Since I haven't started yet, I have been working construction for my cousin and side fab work. I've been able to make decent money, but it's definitely a nice skill to have to bring in some extra income during the summers.

Reactions: ljubera0250

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Those shards are the worst. I have ruined several pairs of gloves because once they get in the cloth, you just get turned into a pin cushon.

How do you like the makita grinder? Is it the variable speed one?

On a side note, good luck in the fall. I had a roundabout experience with school as well though due to different circumstances. It only took me 10 years and a B.A. in History to finish my mechanical engineering degree.

Sean
I like the Makita. I bought it just for that job. However, to get the access I needed I had to use long shank carbide burrs. The increased radial load from the added leverage caused by the long shank and me down right abusing the tool to get the job done definitely gave the it a hot supper. The motor rips through material like butter, but the chuck and thrust bearings got torture tested for sure. At one point the gear housing got so hot I had to let the tool cool down.

Overall, I'd say it is pretty skookum. It's not variable speed which is a big let down, but I needed the tool that day and nobody had the variable speed in stock. Next time I'll get the variable for sure, but hopefully there isn't much carbide burr work ahead.

And thanks for the encouragement in regard to school.

Reactions: smokeysevin

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Not exactly a build update, but exciting nonetheless; dug up current 30 amp service to barn today and replaced with 80 amp service. Hoping to purchase Everlast 350 EXT tig around September.

Current objective is building radius arm pivot mounts to accommodate the ~17 degree angle of the radius arms to the frame rail. Purchased the cut file for these nice 20 degree boxed mounts designed for 1.25" rod ends. They're actually designed for the top links of a triangulated 4 link but should work nicely. Expecting to triangulate some tubes between frame rails for strength.
IMG_1968.JPGIMG_1952.jpg605-JEH-099 RENDER 5.jpgIMG_1968.JPG605-JEH-099 PDF IMAGE.jpg

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I have been super happy with my everlast green machines. I have a powerpro 164 and an imig 140. On the smaller side but they fit my budget and needs. I think you will be happy with that one if you end up purchasing. Trenching sucks so props on that.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
I would rather dig a trench with friends than work a dream job with people I despise.

On the Evelrast tig werdel: both buddies that had 250’s experienced board failures within 4-5 years. Everlast replaced the welders.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds