Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
With a 4 link, one side is in tension which is strong. The other side is in comp and not nearly as strong. The longer your links the worse the column loading gets. With a 3 link you have the luxury of supporting that column mid span halving the buckling loads. Done right they ens up weighing about the same or less for a 3 link.

If 3 links were so bad, everybody would be using 2 radius rods instead of A-arms. Like a fucking Audie.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
4 links are more common with the big trucks because of the way the heims see loads. On a 4 link they only see push pull loads whereas a 3 link sees loads from all directions, mainly side loads which we all know kills Heims. And depending on what you are trying to do, the pivot point being right over the diff can be unfavorable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dose

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
4 links are more common with the big trucks because of the way the heims see loads. On a 4 link they only see push pull loads whereas a 3 link sees loads from all directions, mainly side loads which we all know kills Heims. And depending on what you are trying to do, the pivot point being right over the diff can be unfavorable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the 3 link has a horizontally oriented uniball on one end and the opposing rod ends on the 3 link have bolts/tabs that are oriented with zero degrees of lateral misalignment then there shouldnt be any side loading?

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
If the 3 link has a horizontally oriented uniball on one end and the opposing rod ends on the 3 link have bolts/tabs that are oriented with zero degrees of lateral misalignment then there shouldnt be any side loading?
Correct!

Just like the upper link on Ivan's truck!

It keeps the tubes on the line of action (less prone to buckling) instead of offset (more prone to buckling).

Reactions: littlebird

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Got my heims, uniball, and bungs for the 3 link today. I ordered FK F2 fit 1-1/4 heims (FKBJMX16T) and they are STIFF. Like no chance moving with your hand stiff. Was this a mistake? Is F3 better for upper links?

All these little lessons while building a truck, they never stop!

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds