Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Back to bird. I’ve reached out to a number of people much more experienced and knowledgeable than me here and elsewhere on 4 link geometry and have been pleasantly surprised by how the majority of them have responded to the question of “how much upper link triangulation is enough,” with: “wat.”

In sum, it seems like a lot folks just work within the constraints they’ve got and run it.

On that note, I would really appreciate if you all could eyeball this and let me know if you think it’s too tight and I should switch to a pan hard (yuck I know).

There 28.5” of spread at the axle if that makes it easier.. maybe 33.5% triangulation at best didn’t want to shorten the uppers too much..

If I could run both a panhard and upper links I probably would given how much I like to err on side of overkill. My welding is ok, but being my first build I’d rather not have the danger/regret/embarrassment of it failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
You can get a wider spread with conventional uppers. You really have to move short course uppers in to clear on articulation. Actual short course trucks don't have frames in the way.

Reactions: littlebird

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Really should have put some lift into the beams, only 5.5” up travel from ride height (6” metal to metal).

Setup does tuck elegantly though and none of that radius arm pointing down at ride height stuff to cause bump steer.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Don’t worry so much about the triangulation. Also a pan hard bar should never be an option. Run it the way you got it. If it breaks just put a 9” in and run upper links the normal way.

Or, if you’re that worried about it… put a 9” in right now and run the links the normal way to the frame rails.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Progress. Lol

Frame side upper link pivot.

1/2” thick AR50 plates, 7 holes drilled per side.

2” x .19 wall 4130 tube interfaces through plates, fillet welded both sides.

Centered pivot mount made from 1/4” 4130.

Multi pass tig, preheat and pedal pinned.

Plenty of HAZ

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds