Little Bird

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
You can loosen huck bolts with a regular impact.

Things should be designed to use the shortest bolt possible.

Bolt on bushing mounts make everything live longer. Once you start welding on a Ford frame, you might as well go ahead and box it in.There is no in between.

Reactions: littlebird

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Decided to double up the frame on itself as means to kicking the frame once I discovered Ford half-ton frames for this generation perfectly sleeve into each other under the cab and at the flat under the bed.

Originally I was going to cut it, kick it, and then sleeve it with another piece of C-channel with no overlapping of the frame rails, but doubling it up is a much stronger method. There's over 15 inches of overlap which is plenty. With just two clamps on the web of the frame rails the strength is really impressive.

Doing this yields room for 11" of useable up travel, which is not that impressive, but that is without any increase in ride height from stock or notching of the frame, which seems good enough to me.

Obviously doubling it up shortens the frame significantly in the rear and moves the axle bump zone forward of the axle's location, visually this looks funky, but this aesthetic issue is going to get obscured once there are tubes, panels, and glass everywhere.

Going to link the rear so ignore leafs for now, in the mean time wheels make moving it around easier.

Reactions: partybarge_pilot

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Rolled the frame back out, did some more thinking and decided to reduce the frame overlap by 2 inches. This bumped useable up travel in the rear to 13" and opens up the possibility to keep stock fuel tank if I make the wheel base 125".

Less overlap is gonna put the Huck bolts to the test over thousands of miles.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Acquired this Threat double swing set up in a trade. I need parts to fit like neoprene before I'm happy with them so I had to lap weld overlays on the bulkhead side swinger mount to make it fit properly against the ttb bulkhead. The frame side swinger mount needs to be entirely remade to fit well.

Regardless, nice to think truck wont have noticeable bump steer.

littlebird

Feb 26, 2019
NY
Built up the back side of bulkhead swinger pivot with 4130 to clear the bump in bulkhead, contoured face to bulkhead surface, redrilled, then finally drilled frame.

Working on frame-side swinger pivot. Cut off original mounting flange, made a new one out of 4130N. Still trimming down/determining position; waiting to pick-up beams from 3D scanning before final mock-up and welding.

Future updates should be a bit more interesting..

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds