Long Overdue 01 Tundra Build Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

YZRacer408

Nov 30, 2011
OC california
So I'll start off this thread by saying DR is NOT dead!! Been lurking on this site for 10 years or so build a few vehicle in the past never did build threads. Pretty over the instagram dick swinging bullshit surrounding the off road truck scene and figured its time to drop that "shreddy" crap and get back to the grass roots Dezert rangers build threads that got me into this hobby in the first place. Rant over.

So here's the truck 2001 Tundra I bought this about 5 years ago from a buddy of Roy ODR. It didn't see to much use other then the occasional GLAMIS trip (sick bro) here and there. When i bought the truck it had a Camburg Race front end with an ODR custom upper arm to correct the anti dive toyota has on there stock suspension. this pushed the front wheels forward about 2" im told. Camburg 2" hubs and 2.5x12 coil overs and triple bypasses. Very plain jane engine cage. Interior was 100% bone stock besides 10 lbs of glamis sand. The rear end had a very "streamline" bed cage with a 3" triple bypass and Deaver Q27 spring under pack. Rear axle was already a floater from schriener with a 2" hub and 31 spline axle set up.

Got the truck home and immediately torn everything apart for a full prep that it desperatly needed. Ran the truck in that for for about 6 months maybe 5-6 desert trips then stripped out the interior to have a cab cage installed.

Bare with me on pictures as i had to get them off my instagram i did not have these old ones saved to my phone.

YZRacer408

Nov 30, 2011
OC california
I had the cage done by a guy by the name of JRT fab. Now there’s a long back story of frustration and hackery by said company. Cage lay out was great but corners were cut and ultimately I had to fix a lot of major things. This left a bad taste in my mouth for paying someone to build my truck and really motivated me to start tearing into everything myself.

So after the cage was installed I made the decision I’d be building everything else on the truck from there on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tanker Kranker

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Sweet. How do you like that front kit? That is the one I am thinking of getting for my 05 D cab.

YZRacer408

Nov 30, 2011
OC california
I love it. Iv been running it hard for 5 years with zero issues besides obviously worn uniballs etc.. I mostly go to lucern valley these days and run around the MORE race course stuff and this truck eats it up. The kit will cycle 20” of travel clean if it wasn’t for the stock rack. Right now I have it strapped at 16” and it’s been a gem.

YZRacer408

Nov 30, 2011
OC california
So after a year or so with the “streamline” bed cage I was on the Mohave trail heading to rage at the river when the rear portion of the frame behind the bump stop left the chat. See pics for trail fix. Made it all the way to Laughlin this way.

Reactions: Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds