manual brake bore sizing

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Hey dudes, so im in the process of switching over to manual brakes and was interested to know the science behind choosing the correct size bore to work best with the calipers one would use

my set up will be gm metric calipers in the back and factory kingpin f150?? calipers in the front. two master clyinders and a 13" cnc pedal
Thanks!

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Call the manufacture of whatever master's you're using. They're likely going to ask you the diameter of the caliper pistons, how many pistons total the master will be pushing and the length of your pedal arm. (13"). Give them that info and they'll tell you the bore diameter.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
called em and they sent me a sheet to fill out and send back. anyone know the bore size of a kingpin f150 caliper? lol

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Give them the total brake lever length and then from the arm pivot to the rod that attaches from the lever to the master cyl.

That variant changes how much force you apply to the master and ive seen it range depending on mfg

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Interested to see what happens with the brake setup I’ve got on this yoter, 4 piston wilwood superlites front and back. Currently have a 16” Jamar pedal assembly from nexgen, with dual 1” masters. Pretty sure I’ve got to cut down and shorten this pedal to fit thou

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Give them the total brake lever length and then from the arm pivot to the rod that attaches from the lever to the master cyl.

That variant changes how much force you apply to the master and ive seen it range depending on mfg
yeah they have like a whole sheet to fill out including pedal motion ratio. got all the info on it and sending it back to them tomorrow!

Reactions: 84projectford

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
keep us posted how this works out for you and the parts used on here or your build thread.

i always wanted to do this but i could never get enough good reviews to convince me to do it on a street driven prerunner. from my earlier days til i stopped paying attention, i dont think i have ever good things about the braking. it takes a heavy foot to stop.
but i see the safty side of it if the engine stalls out. used to be a big problem before EFI and computers.

brakes have come a long way. let us know how it comes out.

i remember that most of the old school class 8 and beginning TT used a f-250 i think master? i would have to dig it up.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds