Mojave Desert Tour

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Met up in Lytle Creek and did our usual dirt shortcut to avoid the Friday night Cajon traffic. Then grabbed some tacos at Barstow Del and headed to Afton Canyon. The water crossing in Afton was the deepest I'd seen it. Sent a Bronco through first and it was over his bumpers. I went next with my explorer being the lowest and there was a point where both headlights went dark from being completely submerged. Made it through and had a celebratory beer while I let the water drain out of my cab. None of us got pics, too busy shitting our pants.

Afton Water.jpg

Onward up Afton canyon

IMG_3476.JPG

Cruised for a ways and set up camp just at the northern mouth of Afton. Had a couple beers by the fire and passed out, thankful our boats were still running. Woke up to a beautiful morning.

IMG_3479.JPG

Proceeded to run some fun sand dune and trails along the railroad tracks to skirt Soda probably-not-so-dry lake

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3484.JPG

Last edited:

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Naturally we got a little creative on our route to Baker. Wash dead ended but with a group of 4x4's not a problem.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3486.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

Battled some awful crossgrain and ended up crossing the 15 at baker. Hit a powerline road on the west side of the 15 up to Coliseum Mine. While the mine was pretty cool the road in was nasty. Basketball sized rocks and endless washboard chop. Lunch stop in the mine was worth it though. The cherokee was not part of our beams only group.

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3491.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

Left the mine and headed for Primm. Mt. Charleston in the distance. These mountains above Primm have some beautiful views but the roads are destructive.

IMG_3496.JPG

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
Made it down to Primm where the faded primer bronco would stay the night as he had his wife with him

IMG_3497.JPG

But not after an hours worth of parking lot troubleshooting his brake lights, turn signals, and his torque converter not locking up. Traced it to the turn signal stalk, jumped some wires in there and we had brake lights and TC lockup back.

IMG_3498.JPG

The white trucks parted ways and headed for Caruthers canyon. After some creative routes, and a little sketchy 4x4'ing we made it. No problems with lighting for captain America.

IMG_3500.JPG

Had a fire, cooked some dinner, and speculated on what this place would look like in the morning. Always interesting showing up to a campsite in the dark and waking up to a suprise. We were definitely not disappointed.

IMG_3502 (1).JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

Broncos photograph way better than shitbox explorers

IMG_3508.JPG

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
It was an absolutely beautiful morning, I was in a T shirt by 9am. We wanted to just hang out and explore the canyon but we had a rendezvous with the other Bronco planned to continue the trip home. Met up with him and decided to do some tourist-ing out a Hole in the Wall. Glad we did, it was a beautiful calm 70 degree day. Perfect for a little nature hike

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3527.JPG

Headed out of there and were greeted with one of the best powerline roads of the trip. I swear the guy that cut this road must have been a desert racer. Perfect rollers, fun twisty washes, and some sand sections thrown in. Absolute blast.

Kelso dunes in the background

IMG_3528.JPG

Bronco hill climb challenge. White bronco was the only one to successfully get up in 2wd.

IMG_3531.JPG

And the only 2 other action shots of the trip. The definition of trust is seeing your buddy waving you on into a blind roller and wooding it.

FullSizeRender (12).jpg

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

Hit the 40 in Ludlow and headed home. No major issues aside from the electrical one solved, a leaking plug weld on a bronco rear axle, and some new rattles all around. I'd guess around 200 mi all said and done. Here's a map of what we generally did. The only major deviations were we crossed the 15 in Baker further south than the yellow line shows. And we wrapped around the east side of Kelso dunes rather than the west side as the red line shows.

2019-01-11.jpg

87xjmike

Oct 16, 2010
colfax, ca
The caruthers canyon site looks bad ass.. Very cool trip. Thx for sharing

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mobil1syn

Jun 3, 2003
Bad ass. I'd love those files if you dont mind sharing.
drop me an email and ill send you a more accurate route. what logan posted was a rough sketch and we made it up as we went, since what looks like a road on google earth doesnt always translate to reality.

a wise man once said

DWPhoto said:
Everyone can do this! Get a plan together, get some buddies, go prepared for the worst, Prep your truck. and go. Theres no secret here, it's just about doing it. Don't talk about it online. Go see what the dirt has to offer. It's all about dirt miles...
c d c abrera @ gmail

Reactions: DWPhoto

DWPhoto

DMC
Nov 26, 2007
1000 Oaks, CA
DUDES! YES! Well fucking done...

That Cruthers camp site is bad ass. you gotta love the 2 track trail in there you actually feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds