My “prerunner”

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Nov 25, 2019
Reno
So, it may be unorthodox, but I’ve seen several posts on here just showing their trucks and I wanna get in on that. This is my truck.
I’m sharing it because it’s my first vehicle and I’ve been building it for about 2 and a half years.
I also would be interested to hear any suggestions anyone is willing to offer. I’m always looking for any kind of small project for the truck, so if you have any ideas my ears are open. Thank you for looking

Attachments

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
Might first want to tell people what your working with... ( year, motor, trans, rear end) or what you've already done to it (if anything)and how far you want to go. Then people can offer advice and direction.

Other than that, welcome to DR... And good luck.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2019
Reno
I apologize, That makes sense, thank you. It’s a 1998 ford ranger. It has the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, a 5 speed manual and the open 7.5 inch rear end. It has disk brakes up front with drums in the rear. I’m running 31x10.50-15 bfg all terrains, and the suspension is all stock, as is the entirety of the drivetrain. I use it as my daily and for weekend wheeling. Mostly high speed runs through the desert. I apologize to anyone reading the top, I completely forgot to add info on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
I apologize, That makes sense, thank you. It’s a 1998 ford ranger. It has the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, a 5 speed manual and the open 7.5 inch rear end. It has disk brakes up front with drums in the rear. I’m running 31x10.50-15 bfg all terrains, and the suspension is all stock, as is the entirety of the drivetrain. I use it as my daily and for weekend wheeling. Mostly high speed runs through the desert. I apologize to anyone reading the top, I completely forgot to add info on the truck.

No worries. Now, how far did you want to go? Mid travel? True long travel? Bracket lift? Your wallet will dictate 110% of this .

Nov 25, 2019
Reno
Well I’ve been considering a lot of options. I’m 16 and cannot afford a whole lot right now. I would love to do a full blown long travel kit with king coil overs and bumps, but again, I can’t afford that. I’ve considered cutting and widening the control arms because I have the ability to do that, however I’ve heard negatives about handling after doing this. I have to consider it awhile longer before doing anything serious to the front suspension. Right now, I have a rock solid (as in it doesn’t move up or down) front lift from Craigslist, and Deaver springs and an 8.8 disc axle for the truck. Ill probably install the rear suspension, but I don’t know what to do to soften the ride with the lift. Apologize for how long this is, but I appreciate you being willing to help

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
Well I’ve been considering a lot of options. I’m 16 and cannot afford a whole lot right now. I would love to do a full blown long travel kit with king coil overs and bumps, but again, I can’t afford that. I’ve considered cutting and widening the control arms because I have the ability to do that, however I’ve heard negatives about handling after doing this. I have to consider it awhile longer before doing anything serious to the front suspension. Right now, I have a rock solid (as in it doesn’t move up or down) front lift from Craigslist, and Deaver springs and an 8.8 disc axle for the truck. Ill probably install the rear suspension, but I don’t know what to do to soften the ride with the lift. Apologize for how long this is, but I appreciate you being willing to help

Don't get discouraged by some of the people on here. They like to bust balls.... It's a right of passage. Look into a front "mid travel" kit. You can get performance without breaking the bank. Or look into BTF. Solid kits at good prices. Or hit up NODNARB and see what he says. 8.8 with a form of a locker and deavers is a solid start. Give the front some love. But do it to where you can improve on it vs having to redo the whole system. And more importantly, have fun and learn.

Nov 25, 2019
Reno
I’ll probably put the rear together. I have the axle which has a Posi in it, the Seaver’s, I have a bed hoop, and some 18” smoothies but I need to save for the front end. Thank you for the advice. I intend to learn as much as possible from this project but I do appreciate the help

Nov 25, 2019
Reno
Are you familiar with rangers specifically? I’m asking because I’ve considered the Camburg 5.5 kit in the past and would love your opinion

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds