Need help with a OEM upper arm into lift spindle (sloppy fit)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

98RangerDAVE

F-150 with a gen 1 Raptor swap.
May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA

A friend of mine installed a lift spindle (he thinks rough country brand) on his 2004 (coil sprung) ranger. The upper arm has the ball joint that goes into the spindle but there is a lot of slop with the pinch bolt torqued to spec (45 ft pounds). The upper ball joint won’t slip out but the front end isn’t solid like it should be.

any ideas on what this could be? Not my truck, but I’m thinking the upper ball joint is the wrong size for the spindle hole. Are there different ball joint sizes for different year rangers? Those are brand new upper arms from Detroit Axle but OEM spec.

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
VenTurA 805!
Is the pinch bolt the right diameter? Also looks like the BJ isnt in far enough to where the pinch bolt is in the groove of the BJ..
I saw a dude out at Pismo have this issue and kept popping the upper arm out of the upright.. he couldn’t figure it out, and thought, well this must be offroading.

Reactions: the bodj

98RangerDAVE

May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA
We used the supplied pinch bolt. We thought that too but if we put a larger size bolt through the spindle we’ll need to drill out that through hole in spindle.

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
There is a difference between edge and xlt upper control arms (ball joint as well) it is very possible he has edge spindles with smaller xlt ball joints hence the loose shank.

I would confirm all parts in the install are xlt, spindles especially.

Edit: rough country does not even make a lift spindle for 2wd trucks so figure out what spindles they are and you’ll likely have your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brandon_Charley

98RangerDAVE

May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA
There is a difference between edge and xlt upper control arms (ball joint as well) it is very possible he has edge spindles with smaller xlt ball joints hence the loose shank.

I would confirm all parts in the install are xlt, spindles especially.

Edit: rough country does not even make a lift spindle for 2wd trucks so figure out what spindles they are and you’ll likely have your answer

thank you for the tips. I know these spindles came off a ranger with the 5.5” Fabtech upper arms. That ranger was also a coil spring truck.

98RangerDAVE

May 11, 2007
High Desert, CA
We pulled the front end apart today to find a part number or brand on the spindles but came up empty.

2 questions:

1. would an “edge” spindle fit on a non edge model?

2. would an “edge” upper control arm fit on a non edge model?

we’re trying to locate an edge upper control arm to compare the ball joint sizes. If these spindles are in fact for the edge model I’m wondering if it’s as easy to swapping the upper arms for edge arms. But maybe they don’t cross fit as easy as that?

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
We pulled the front end apart today to find a part number or brand on the spindles but came up empty.

2 questions:

1. would an “edge” spindle fit on a non edge model?

2. would an “edge” upper control arm fit on a non edge model?

we’re trying to locate an edge upper control arm to compare the ball joint sizes. If these spindles are in fact for the edge model I’m wondering if it’s as easy to swapping the upper arms for edge arms. But maybe they don’t cross fit as easy as that?
No, the arms are not interchangeable. The spindle could likely “fit” as it may already have in your guys case but the alignment would be an issue,

Post a picture of two of the spindle

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
Those look like maxtrac spindles, if so the part number is right next to the upper caliper bracket hole.

Reactions: 98RangerDAVE

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds