Need ideas, non truck fab project

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Some may remember I asked about making steps for my daughter's dance recital. Those got done and as most may know once you do something they always come back for more. See pic. Son helped a lot on them

New project is a 5 foot round step that rotates. My thought is build a 4 foot square box with a bearing in the center then bolt a wood 5 foot round piece to it. I was thinking a large lazy Susan bearing but I am afraid it will not be strong enough for 5-6 teens to stand on and rotate. But I found these heavy duty ones:

Or would a pillow block be better with maybe a tube down the center of the 5 foot round board going through the pillow block.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

Reactions: SoupGFX

mikebrier12

Aug 30, 2010
California
If I’m thinking of your design correctly, maybe a bearing in the center then mount wheels to the bottom of the round part and have them ride on the base. Just a thought I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ucd baja

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
a lazy susan bearing is called "Slewing bearing" if you're trying to search the internet for info.

at the diameter you're talking a slewing bearing is probably overkill although they're usually rated for a shit load of moment.

I like ^that dude's idea. What if your large diameter base just had a whole buttload of little wheels near the outer diameter? I'm thinking of something similar to ball-transfers for conveyance systems would make the whole thing low profile. Casters would also work obviously.

Or you could also just go with some low-tech and bond some UHMW to the sliding parts and grease them. Bet that would spin, weight depending.

link to ball transfers. lots of price range options:

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca

plenty of solutions a click away in there

Heer-O

Mega Member
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore / Lakewood
Go to your local park and "aquire" one of those merry-go-round things. Ya know, the one that the dumbass kids sit on and they prop a motorcycle with the drive wheel on it and let her rip.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reactions: partybarge_pilot

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Go to your local park and "aquire" one of those merry-go-round things. Ya know, the one that the dumbass kids sit on and they prop a motorcycle with the drive wheel on it and let her rip.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Hmmm. Can't say any parks around me have one. Wonder if they outlawed them

moose4x4

Jan 26, 2010
Springfield, MO
Not sure how close to the ground it needs to be. Have seen a piic of a big turntable for truck bodies using caster wheels bolted to a platform with wheels up and turntable rolling around with a pivot in middle to keep it located on casters.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds