Need valving help- Rear 2.5 Bypass with leaf's

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turtle Bite

Nov 3, 2018
West Richland, WA
Hey guys. I bought my first prerunner last summer and after a few trips and sorting small issues out, I am at ready to start changing valving. Right now the issue I am having is bottoming resistance in the rear- in the whoops the ass end is on the bump stops when I hit the second whoop, and flying through air over the third whoop, while the front has never left the ground, not even working hard. I started by turning playing with the bypass adjusters in a test section and making laps. The truck was faster and faster the more I turned both the compression and bypass adjusters in- until they were fully bottomed. That tells me that I need a valving change to go more fasterer.

I assume I need more/ thicker compression and rebound shims, right? I am starting with the rear only since the front seems good, and the rear sooo bad.

General info on the truck:
94 Ranger, 4.0 extracab
4" extended and flipped beams
2.5" x 14" front king coilovers, 3.0 x 4" bumps
rear- 2.5" x 16" king triple bypasses, deaver G50 springs, 3.0 x 2.5" bumps.
32 gallon cell and 35" spare mounted behind the rear axle

I am going to pull the rear shocks apart and get a count of what I have now for shims. I dont they have ever been opened.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
More than likely you had to much rebound and screwing the adjusters in just made the comp stiff enough to compensate. Need actual shim stacks to make a real call.

Stacks should be .015 comp and .008 rebound. No bleeds open. If it's still harsh in the chatter, drill a bleed hole in the short tube poppet.

Turtle Bite

Nov 3, 2018
West Richland, WA
More than likely you had to much rebound and screwing the adjusters in just made the comp stiff enough to compensate. Need actual shim stacks to make a real call.

Stacks should be .015 comp and .008 rebound. No bleeds open. If it's still harsh in the chatter, drill a bleed hole in the short tube poppet.
OK. Tore the shock apart tonight finally. .010 compression and .010 rebound both. I gave bad information above- Compression adjusters screwed all the way in, but rebound is all the way out, not in.

I will have to look up what the bleeds are. Cant remember, and I didnt look.

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca
Need to decide if I am going to get the bodies powdercoated now and get new decals, these are about 10 years old and have over spray all over.
Save yourself the money and hit the bodies with 'steel-it' like all of the cool kids are doing. Seriously though all of the shocks that Ive seen done have turned out pretty nice.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
That should get you close, start with the tubes all the way open and work from there. If it's harsh in the chatter, put a bleed hole in the short tube poppet. If it's super sloppy, get stiffer poppet springs.

Turtle Bite

Nov 3, 2018
West Richland, WA
Save yourself the money and hit the bodies with 'steel-it' like all of the cool kids are doing. Seriously though all of the shocks that Ive seen done have turned out pretty nice.
I might do that if I run out of time. I am lucky that I have a ton of powdercoating done for work, so I get most of my personal items coated for free.

Anybody know where I can buy king decals at online? Coming up short with poly performance, filthy motorsports, and google. I will start calling around next, just thought they would be easier to find.

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
That should get you close, start with the tubes all the way open and work from there. If it's harsh in the chatter, put a bleed hole in the short tube poppet. If it's super sloppy, get stiffer poppet springs.
can you explain to me why to do the poppet and not leave a bleed open? i have 3.0 kings on the rear of my f150 and with .015 compression it was way too stiff with all bleeds closed so i opened one and its better... although still a bit stiff.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds