New California exhaust law

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DEZRT GM

Sep 23, 2018
camarillo
Soooo this sucks... but I herd it does not apply to vehicles with a GVW of 6000 and under.. does anyone have more info on this if the 6000 lbs is the truth the heavy (gmc) Chevy is a happy girl

ucd baja

#1 Pig Killer
Dec 16, 2008
Plainfield, CA
I’m pretty sure it’s the other way around, I only skimmed through it a couple weeks ago but there is a certain GVW and up
That are exempt.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
heres what ive gathered by doin a little research over the weekend.

first its not a new law. the law has been the same since 1998, only difference is that you get a fine instead of a fix it ticket now. which, frankly id rather pay a fine than go get my shit refereed any day of the week!!!!

it applies to vehicles 6000 pounds and under. everyones freaking out about the law saying that it says you cant modify your exhaust. if you read it carefully it says you can not modify a cars exhaust in a way that its non compliant with code "whatever"
code "what ever" says a vehicle of 6000 lbs and under should not exceed 95 decibles.

just to put this into perspective....my harley with no muffler is 98db and is 6xs louder than my truck could ever dream of being lol.

90_DangerRanger

Mar 17, 2017
San Marcos, CA
Agreed with Marcy, this is nothing new... and id rather pay then go see the CHIPPERS so they can hit me with every other fixit ticket they can.

Honestly, on a non-daily i would not even trip on it. DOn't run a glasspack ricer exhaust haha!

Reactions: PaulHayslett

DEZRT GM

Sep 23, 2018
camarillo
Yeah, glad it doesn’t apply to bikes too my harley is pretty loud too. I got cited for my stereo being to loud and I fought it because he wrote me for a muffler ticket back in 09. I checked my truck yesterday with a phone decibel app with long tubes, no cats, xpipe and dual single chamber magnaflows it was like 86 dbs at 3k, says at 19.5 in away at idol then at 2500 rpm. 1k is a steep ticket though

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Jalopnik has a write up on it and what Marcy said is correct. Not a new law. Modify the exhaust all you want using the legal stuff you always have used and you are fine as long as you are under the dbs. Yes there are questions around how they measure the dbs and all that but basically it is up to the officers discretion. I am still going to run my muffler and cross my fingers that my neighbor with the straight piped vw gets hit. Who runs a straight pipe on a 4 banger VW golf automatic.

https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-suddenly-freaking-out-over-californias-e-1831620651

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
Jalopnik has a write up on it and what Marcy said is correct. Not a new law. Modify the exhaust all you want using the legal stuff you always have used and you are fine as long as you are under the dbs. Yes there are questions around how they measure the dbs and all that but basically it is up to the officers discretion. I am still going to run my muffler and cross my fingers that my neighbor with the straight piped vw gets hit. Who runs a straight pipe on a 4 banger VW golf automatic.

https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-suddenly-freaking-out-over-californias-e-1831620651
I feel those are the types of people to be targeted. the "street takeovers" and all that shit. popa in his 57 chevy with a bad ass motor on his way to the sunday car meet up isnt the reason this law is suddenly getting more attention

DEZRT GM

Sep 23, 2018
camarillo
Well hopefully they leave us off-roaders alone , and don’t drive like your 16 and you should be good .

I feel those are the types of people to be targeted. the "street takeovers" and all that shit. popa in his 57 chevy with a bad ass motor on his way to the sunday car meet up isnt the reason this law is suddenly getting more attention

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds