No. 7 Ford Floating Conversion.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

EvanNumberSeven

Mega Member
Mar 5, 2008
Apple Valley
profile.myspace.com
First off, I want to ask you guys... If you guys had the chance to convert your factory 9in over to a floating housing with custom axles for a fraction of the price would you do it? We all are familiar with the concept of taking factory parts that are bigger and better and applying them to a truck for the purposes of better suiting parts whether it would be better braking, driving, or bearings. We see it with Tundra axles on the front of a Tacoma 4x4 kit. We see it with Rangers sticking D44 stuff on. We see it with 9in being put into minitrucks. Why not apply it for a floating axle conversion? Truth be told, this whole idea has been under wraps and in the making for many months right now. There are CAD drawings and physical parts already made, scheduled to be tested. So for those to say, 'Its a bad or stupid idea, dont do it... Rabble rabble" Its too late, We are already doing it. The whole concept of this is to make a floating axle assembly more available to those who dont or cant drop thousands of dollars into a fully custom floating housing and hub and brake setup, especially if its not even necessary. So tell me, Sparking interest? Pics and more information is definately right here for me to tell you guys. I want to see what the community is feeling on the opportunity at hand.

autotude

Jul 6, 2009
Sounds like a great idea to me, I don't see how that could be frowned apon, go for man my guess is they'll sell like hot cakes!

On another note I'm going to be ordering some uniball cups this weekend, just a heads up! Keep up with the good work!

Ryan

EvanNumberSeven

Mega Member
Mar 5, 2008
Apple Valley
profile.myspace.com
It definately will be nothing to frown upon nor am I being shy with this either. Just doing some prodding and provoking. This is something I conceived in my noggin years ago, I just have not been able to get it accomplished until now with the right research, resources, and time. And with the price we are shooting to get these kits out to you guys, It is about to knock you out of your chair and I anticipate this will be an incredible new innovation to bring more sophistication to the sportsman. So the 'hotcakes' phrase is intended for this product, most definately. THATS how available we are going to make this.

And keep in mind: I just want to put this into perspective for those out there who are interested in this conversion idea to replace the high price tags of a custom setup. Just kinda throwing common numbers out there, no brand specifically discussed below.

$1,000 Custom hub assemblies
$900 aftermarket rotor and caliper setup
$400 Custom Floating Snouts
$800 Custom axles

Im sure there are companies that can carry a whole kit for less, but piecing together a full custom kit for a floating rear end from the axles all the way to the brakes (assuming you're even trying to put this on an old or new axle) You're looking at spending around $3,000 dollars. Then at that point, why put all that on a factory 9in? Thats like Gold-leafing your poop. So then you figure youre in 3k, might as well get a custom housing which is another $1,000. Its just a viscious snowball effect.

So now after its all said and done, You spent $5,000 dollars on your rear end, your baby is getting repo-ed, your house is going hungry, and your mortgage payment is due on your car.

This kit (what's included? I'll tell you soon.) is a scratch compared to $5,000 dollars. (For how much? Im too tired, Ill release that momentarily) It's simple, effective, and has several features sure to suprise with its great benefits. (How's it work? What cool features? What the hell is this thread anyways? I'll spill all that later)

Last edited:

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
i played around with a similar idea and talked to a few people about it, still might try it at some point. i planned to use 90% off the shelf parts that are already being made, mostly stock parts. not sure what you have planned, most fabricated floater parts could be used in a stock 9" housing, i look forward to seeing what you come up with.

EvanNumberSeven

Mega Member
Mar 5, 2008
Apple Valley
profile.myspace.com
I might be interested in the very distant future lol. Will it increase my rear track width at all?
Well, our first dilemma was how do we not let your trackwidth decrease in the process as we were laying out how this work. And we were happy to say we got it setup that there is the definate possibility to have your factory 9in widened by this process. It all depends on a swedge location next to your flange, which in fact, not all 9in having have the swedge in the same place and the smaller ones do not have a swedge. Since those smaller 'hot rod' housings have no swedge, that allows you to make the cut for your housing, on the outter most available area to eliminate the flange thus allowing you to gain around 3.5-4" a side. The larger housings that came in the later 9in days have the factory flange with a swedge a couple inches in, cutting your housing in the correct location will offer you a trackwidth gain in the rear equivilant to a spindle lift. But the most commone application was designed so that no trackwidth was lost and no trackwidth was to be gained. That way trucks that need to stay within their own specifications can do so throughout the conversion.

i played around with a similar idea and talked to a few people about it, still might try it at some point. i planned to use 90% off the shelf parts that are already being made, mostly stock parts. not sure what you have planned, most fabricated floater parts could be used in a stock 9" housing, i look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I never said you can't put fabricated floating parts in a stock 9". And im sure if you have played around with a similar idea, you may have a good idea what we are doing here. In fact, like you said, it pretty much uses factory parts you get from NAPA which is why this is going to be so available to anyone. No online ordering, no far driving, just walk into an autoparts store to recieve all your new setup or anythign you dont have already. But I'm also excited to say this conversion is so simple and easy, you do not need to even worry about finding the right caliper with the right 9in rotor conversion bracket only to settle with a fixed caliper style brake.

I need to change up my axles to a different lug pattern so I'd be interested.
We are setting this up for Ford parts at the moment, Im not sure if those are the patterns you're talking about. But once we get this on our test truck and run this into the ground. I'm confident we will get this for other lug patterns to keep it factory and affordable. Thats not to say, for additional costs right now, we can order custom blank rotors and have custom lug patterns machined for you. But ven then pricing will be so insignificant compared to your conventional setup floating setup.

Last edited:

EvanNumberSeven

Mega Member
Mar 5, 2008
Apple Valley
profile.myspace.com
Oh most definately. You'll see that these are Ford OE based products and Toyota and Chevy are, IMO, Are the two runner up in popularity out there. So we will convert what we have here over to run those factory brand trucks.

As far as custom billet hubs for any lug pattern on either 2.0 or 2.5 snouts, we already have those underway and you will see us retailing those. You will see them pop up soon.

Update: Next Post was to be with pictures and descriptions... But I cannot for the life of me upload pictures. I think the Server isnt working correctly. Will re-attempt in an hour.

What this kit uses:

Factory Dana 44 snouts (5 or 6 bolt)
Factory Dana 44 rotor/hubs
Factory dual piston Ranger calipers
Factory dual piston Ranger caliper brackets (custom machined for rotors)
Custom Flange Conversion
Custom built axles

What this means:

Huge amount of strength. (I just saw a blk/slvr Ranger break an axle flange off - outside the outter bearing this weekend.)
Easily available parts at your local autoparts store
Better more conventional style braking, no more single piston claw brakes, drum brakes, or messy conversions.
A floating axle setup perfect for the sportsman trucks (which is the vast majority of the racers and enthusiast) at a fraction of the cost.

So heres how it works:

We designed and machined this housing insert that will work up to a 2.875" I.D. tube. This sleeves into the housing and you receive custom axles that come with your kit specified to whatever size you need. Those axles will go on the inside of the snout you bolt on to the end of this conversion flange and your drive axles will be seated right through the snout into the driveplate just like the front of a 4wd. The 30 spline custom axles are of higher quality steel to ensure driving power durability and we have a 500hp truck we are testing this on to prove that. There's no doubt in our (team of designers of this kit) mind that the 30 spline custom axles can easily keep a factory 302 in check. You notice that there is a groove in the sleeve on the insert shank and that is so that no need for deburring the seam on the inside of the axle tube; just slip and go. And lastly there is a lip on the outter most part of the flange conversion. The step inside is actually where the machined caliper bracket seats to and you are able to clock it wherever you need (Axle tube seams aren't clocked the same) and easily welded on. You then take your caliper bracket (provided) and bolt it on there and plug in your dual piston caliper like factory.

What's included in the kits:

Conversion flange
Custom alloy axles
Factory (95-97 2wd Ranger) caliper bracket re-machined for large rotor

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds