OG 94 Explorer Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
I guess one TTB Ford was not enough for me. Just picked this up. Going to keep it simple and build it old school style. No Led's, no coilovers, no fiberglass.

Plans are:

James Duff kit in front
Shackle lift & James Duff shocks in the rear
Swap to manual hubs
Locker up front
15" Outlaw 2's
33x10.50's
Sliders
New front bumper/grille
Ski rack delete
Side molding delete
Tint windows

That's about it for now, going to keep it simple and start doing some 4x4 stuff.

Already snagged the front kit

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
Are you going to upgrade to better shocks? or stick with those? either way subd! That expo is clean!
For now, I'll run what I have. Some Fox 2.0's would be pretty cool at some point, but the white rockets fit the theme better.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Pine River Mn
What locker are you planning up front and why front over rear? I've always found locker placement discussions interesting. I don't have any first hand experience with a front only locked vehicle. I've had many rear only for sure though and now a front and rear but never just front...

I'm sure you know to give those drop brackets some loving before installing them! Any reason you're going with the brackets over modified beams?

BTW, if you ever plan to build a twin tube style set of radius arms like what's common on most prerunners and want to use that JD trans crossmember and radius arm mount setup... Shoot me a PM before you do and I'll let you know of a small issue I ran into while doing it before you even touch any tools so you can decide how you want to work around it.

Last edited:

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
What locker are you planning up front and why front over rear? I've always found locker placement discussions interesting. I don't have any first hand experience with a front only locked vehicle. I've had many rear only for sure though and now a front and rear but never just front...

I'm sure you know to give those drop brackets some loving before installing them! Any reason you're going with the brackets over modified beams?
From the little research I've done, the Aussie locker seems to be the way to go. Front just makes more sense to me. I don't have any good reason to be honest, other than if the front wheels are turning, then I need traction & it may as well be both! What love should I give the drop downs? They seem pretty decent. I'm doing the drop downs because it's what I have. If I come across another set of beams down the road I'll do a cut & turn and swap them out. I figure this truck is for going slow, so I shouldn't have to be too concerned with them.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Pine River Mn
Brace up the passenger side drop bracket some. Plate it or maybe get a tubular support to tie into the pivot bolt or something along those lines. I have yet to see a drop down bracket that didn't crack over time online and also from personal experiences with them. I've never seen one fail to the point of being a day ender but they definitely do crack, even in the crawler environments.

On the locker... I'm not remotely saying there's a right or wrong by anymeans and I've seen really good reasoning for going front only. My thing though... If you're say in the rocks on a flat trail lifting tires, imo as long as you still have a single drive tire pushing you're fine. So if it's a front or a rear, it's kind of a wash in that situation I feel. Now get in a scenario where you're on a solid rock, moab style, with a front locker and it either makes it hard to turn OR if there's sand on the hard surface it can make the front want to push or slide depending on situations. I had one where I was skirting a pretty deep hole that would've rolled me on my drivers side if I slid into it. With the front locker and the lean that the surface had me, every single time my front end would try to slide over into it cause of the locker. No other vehicle had this issue, only mine with the front locker. Next situation where lockers KICKASS!!! Up hill climbs... Your weight is naturally shifted over the rear of the truck. That's where most of your drive is coming from so I want both of those tires pushing 100% of the time.

Like I said though, there's a lot of really good arguments that I've seen for going with a front only. One of them being street driving manners which I can understand for sure. I will say though, I've got a detroit in the rear and I DD mine and only notice it maybe once or twice a month around town. I'm VERY impressed with the street manners of the Detroit over other cheaper lockers I've had in the past.

FYI, I've got the OG detroit in the rear 8.8 on mine and the Detroit EZ locker in the D35 up front. No issues to date with either. I've heard good about the Aussie though as well!

Not really intending to sway you either way on location of locker or brand... Just tossing out my 2 cents on what I've experienced. I would add a bit of support to at least that passenger frame rail drop bracket though! That one is advice from personal experience. Mine cracked in a few different places over time when I had them. I'd weld up the crack, plate it and then eventually find it cracked elsewhere. I basically chased cracks on it over the time I used it. LOL

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
Right on Khris, I appreciate all the info. I can see where your coming from on strengthening up the passenger beam mount, I've cracked it a few times on my Bronco. A simple little tube gusset goes a long ways

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds