Personal Protective Equipment

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
I know it's nerdy, but being able to hear myself think after a full day in the shop is worth throwing on some hearing protection, and not squinting when using an angle grinder is worth wearing a face shield or goggles. I've been using some 3M ear muffs for a while until my dog got to them yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new pair. What do you wear?

crazyracer

Tres Cuatro Tacos
Sep 27, 2006
Pacific Beach, CA
I've always used the 3M ear protectors from Home depot. I've broken 2 sets but its home depot...they'll exchange without a receipt. I keep going back.

ovrebo1

Asshole/ helpful
Dec 10, 2007
Colorado
I have these custom molded ear plugs that were made for me, in my ear, so they fit perfectly. A guy in my town makes them, I think they cost me like $40-60. A guy I worked with went to, whatever you call a ear Dr. place, and had some made for himself that have a little valve in them that is open during normal sounds and then closes during higher DB's. Those cost him $250-300. I just use 3M chemical goggles for all my eye protection needs and I still manage to get things in my eyes.

fordboi415

BTF built!!!
Dec 5, 2009
Rancho cucamonga, CA
I know it's nerdy, but being able to hear myself think after a full day in the shop is worth throwing on some hearing protection, and not squinting when using an angle grinder is worth wearing a face shield or goggles. I've been using some 3M ear muffs for a while until my dog got to them yesterday, so I'm in the market for a new pair. What do you wear?
I use over the ear ones i bought for shooting, paid 30 bucks or so and they work way better than anything else ive tried and muffle way more noise..

Last edited:

F1sleepy

Grumpy Old Man
Aug 1, 2006
Escondido
Ear plugs! Otherwise you can't wear a face shield when cutting and grinding, and that's just not worth the risk. I use a nice uvex wraparound face shield with adjustable suspension. It makes life easier.

Tchajagos

Feb 12, 2010
Riverside
I have behind the head over ear ear muffs. Work great when you have a helmet or face shield on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t6me

OG Member
Oct 20, 2005
Most hearing aid shops will make you custom sets for around 50. I've always used the standard orange 3m throwaway plugs. For the eyes I use bomber face protection glasses or my sunglasses.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Ear plugs! Otherwise you can't wear a face shield when cutting and grinding, and that's just not worth the risk. I use a nice uvex wraparound face shield with adjustable suspension. It makes life easier.
Any particular kind of ear plugs? When I was doing production welding we used normal headphone earbuds which was cool because you listened to music the whole day, but my ears ended up hurting at the end of the night because the rubber buds were too big. The next size down was too small and didn't seal

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds