Plumbing CBR Radiator

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

socalkid92

Nov 9, 2010
National City, CA
So I just got my CBR mounted and I’m trying to figure out plumbing. This radiator doesn’t have a neck fill. It has a inlet, outlet, 4 threaded inlets and a -12An fitting. Looking at a diagram for a surge tank is guessing the previous owner was running a surge tank and overflow setup. Is a surge tank necessary? If I run just a reservoir tank where could I plumb it into?

Also what would the AN fitting be for? It’s at the bottom right above the outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
a surge tank would be best but you might be able to get away with running an inline radiator cap deal in teh upper rad hose as long as the cap is higher than the engine and radiator. you would have to plug all those extra ports and make sure the inline radiator cap has a bleed off port for an overflow tank. you cant use the rad ports for the overflow tank.

Reactions: yltaco05

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
its my understanding that a surge tank IS essentially an overflow tank with a radiator cap as the radiator is cap-less. So you'll need a tank with a radiator cap and mount it higher than the radiator and engine. I would plumb it into the highest port on the radiator and cap the rest.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
that AN fitting is just the return from the surge tank instead of putting it in the lower rad hose. easier/cleaner way to go about it.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Not that I’m aware of, I’m getting a new one made with all the same inlets and stuff but I’ll have them just not put a fitting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they are making you a new one, just have them weld a standard fill cap on it so you can just run an overflow and be done with it.

Reactions: socalkid92

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds