Project 2 Ghetto Build Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I just prep the surface. Cut cloth in small to large pieces. Mix resin. Use cheap brush and brush resin onto spot. Lay the smaller piece and brush resin in. Then larger and brush and then larger and brush. Dry. Then grind/sand, Kitty hair, Bondo, Pin hole filler, Primer, sealer, paint with a bunch of sanding mixed in there.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Cabosil is your friend in corners.

Sean
I put fiberglass tows(long unidirectional fibers) along sharp corners and joggles.

Even better, if time permits, ply ramp buildups laminated around sharp details produce excellent results.
See typical whiteboard sketch. Ply ramp buildups are blue.

Cab-o-sil(fumed silica), cotton flock(flox), microballons, milled fibers, wood flour, etc are all helpful in sharp corners, but are still brittle and prone to cracking and chipping out.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokeysevin

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Exactly, cabosil itself doesn't add (much) strength but it does allow you to contour heavier weight fibers to the shape you need.

I also used to take the frayed edge strips and mix those up into a shower drain style hair blend and run that stuff along corners. Its hard to get all the excess resin out of it though.

It also helps to use the good resin and not the cheap shit. Where possible, clamping outside or inside corners or weighting them down to keep your layup laminated makes all that easier.

I come from the marine world with all sorts of stupid shapes where you just have to work with what you have, while upside down, inside a jetski hull.

Sean

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
Does anyone in the offroad fiberglass industry use epoxy or vinylester resin? Or do they just shotgun straight up polyester on the rocks with a styrene chaser?
It's not cost effective. If you want to pay I can make it happen though. Biggest issue with vacuum bags is the re-tooling required. Pretty much all the molds in the off road industry would not survive the oven. Vacuum bagging is happening in the off road industry, but it's for carbon fiber parts.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Biggest issue with vacuum bags is the re-tooling required. Pretty much all the molds in the off road industry would not survive the oven.
As long as the molds don’t have ridiculously complex backup structures, they could be envelope bagged and room temp or heat-tent cured at 140-160F.

Just vacuum bagging the 1960’s technology wet-layup parts would yield much lighter, stronger, better consolidated, less resin-heavy parts. I bet a 60% weight savings would be easily attainable.

Different subject as we descend the rabbit hole...
Who makes Autofab’s fiberglass parts? I have always heard great things about their quality and fitment.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
All I do is talk shit, it's kind of like tough love. Besides, how else would we get a great tech thread going?
Seriously, I dig it. My redneck beer can with resin splooge job(that deservedly requires some criticism) has prompted some great knowledge sharing. I had no idea Turdblo was so into fiberglass. I should have figured that though... I mean the high desert people are known for huffing chemicals. haha

I don't know jack shit about composites, or epoxies, or resins, or whatever the fuck they are even called. I figured the fiber had to provide the strength, but I had NO idea it was supposed to be like 50%! My knowledge to this extent was "ya see...just mix them two things there, and then wait for it to get harder than woodpecker lips". lol

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
We need to give Turboyotasome more shit. Guy makes CF parts for a living and none of it makes it on to his trucks. I choose my place of work by how much cool shit I can make for myself.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
We need to give Turboyotasome more shit. Guy makes CF parts for a living and none of it makes it on to his trucks. I choose my place of work by how much cool shit I can make for myself.
I am guessing a lot of dudes are like “what the fuck is CF???

Read as CRFP so they can GTS.

I offered FuckerNU a sweet CF shifter cover i made and he was like “Nah, bro, that shit would make my truck waaaay too light and fast, and i would lose too much traction from all the slippery panties being hurled at my truck.”

Reactions: 84projectford

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds