Project 2 Ghetto Build Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
well, i finally just did it myself. What a learning experience. It definitely took way longer than I expected. I had to take the day off yesterday to spray the cab. This was good practice for G4...

Went out and bought 3x HF HVLP paint guns for $10 each. Cant beat that.

Thought i had finished up my sanding... but my invisible sanding guy clearly wasn't working good enough once I saw the paint in the end...

Made a paint booth and got mask and coveralls for like $150 or so ... Tarp was $40.. mask was $30. Most expensive items. Booth was made of 2x4's. about 8-9ft tall by 20ft long and 13-14ft wide. I made front and rear doors with a section of screen as a vent. Only used the front door when I painted the truck. Never really used the rear one completely... kinda let plastic flap to vent.

Rolled it in....

Paint will always look good from here! haha

Masked off the rest of windows and doors. Big fun.

Sprayed some grey primer... realized i did shittier on body work than i thought...(could see scratches still.) Oh well, no time left. Gonna have to fire that sanding guy above... and just gonna have to paint it!

Meanwhile G4 was just lurking in the background getting neglected...

Reactions: Turboyota

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Well, the next day, Fathers day.... I was able to steal the dad of my buddies wife away for the day. He ran a body shop years ago... and was SUPER helpful. Showed me some cool tricks...

My house was pretty much upside down at this part. It's crazy how much space and shit you need to do this. It's quite a task. But, I was balls deep and just had to power through

Sprayed the same primer material as a sealer first (added a reducer) .. and then got the base coat ready....

These test panels were great...

Then sprayed the base on all the fiberglass...

Last edited:

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
you are inspiring me... Question how did you like the width of the booth? was it just enough, needed more, or could be done with less?

I was having issues with doors on...Wide open and the plastic would hit edge. I would go a full 14ft wide if you can. The length seemed ok.. but would be tight if you had to paint front or rear.

How long did it take you to mask the entire truck?

I love the paint booth—well done for sure!
Dude, I had done a lot prior.. like had pre-made templates for the windows, etc... But still took half a day or more.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds