Project 2 Ghetto Build Thread

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
25 psi? That little chop must rattle you good. I run 13 front and 11-12 rear. I always trip when people post about PSI on this site. 25 is street pressure for me.
13 and 11 i run in sand. lol When I hear race trucks running 30 I feel my fillings falling out. My ranger worked best at 18-20 on street and dirt.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
LOL, 20 PSI=dead tires on a race truck. 8 truck was 28 front 25 rear cold. When it got hot it was like 32/30. Had to use nitrogen to keep the hot pressures in check. With regular air we would see a 10PSI rise in the rears.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
13 and 11 i run in sand. lol When I hear race trucks running 30 I feel my fillings falling out. My ranger worked best at 18-20 on street and dirt.
Have not gone sand yet in the 4Runner but in the 2wd Toyota I dropped to 5ish at glamis. Went everywhere with an open diff and never got stuck.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
25 psi? That little chop must rattle you good. I run 13 front and 11-12 rear. I always trip when people post about PSI on this site. 25 is street pressure for me.
You must have bead locks? I start peeling the tires off the beads at around 17-18PSI with aggressive driving. (done it a bunch at tuff trucks, and a couple times in the dez too)

24-25 is my "street" pressure... as it's what I normally run when I do hybrid. Actually...maybe we should call it my "Overlanding" pressure. LOL

If I wanted to go up blow sands, I would have to air down for sure. But I would probably peel the tire off on the way back to camp. Good news is G4 has real bead locks... so I'm hoping I will be able to get away with lower pressures on that one.

Side note. I feel like the new fake walker wheel combo with an 15x8" rim peels tires off a decent amount easier than the old 15x7 outlaw wheels.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
LOL, 20 PSI=dead tires on a race truck. 8 truck was 28 front 25 rear cold. When it got hot it was like 32/30. Had to use nitrogen to keep the hot pressures in check. With regular air we would see a 10PSI rise in the rears.
Interesting. Are you saying "= dead tires" because if you started with 20 you would overheat? For me, I seem to start ripping tires off anything below 20PSI when shit gets aggressive. I attributed it to not having bead locks.

If I were only going tooling around in the sand, I could get away with it... but not in open desert with big whooped out turns and wash banks and stuff

DP_Ranger

Mar 13, 2010
dana point
You must have bead locks? I start peeling the tires off the beads at around 17-18PSI with aggressive driving. (done it a bunch at tuff trucks, and a couple times in the dez too)

24-25 is my "street" pressure... as it's what I normally run when I do hybrid. Actually...maybe we should call it my "Overlanding" pressure. LOL

If I wanted to go up blow sands, I would have to air down for sure. But I would probably peel the tire off on the way back to camp. Good news is G4 has real bead locks... so I'm hoping I will be able to get away with lower pressures on that one.

Side note. I feel like the new fake walker wheel combo with an 15x8" rim peels tires off a decent amount easier than the old 15x7 outlaw wheels.
No bead locks and I can do donuts in the sand with no worries. But I don’t drive nearly as hard as you and have never done any tuff-truck style courses but I definitely wouldn’t run low psi doing that kind of stuff.

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
No bead locks here either. I always run 7 inch wide wheels though to keep bead pressure (Currently 8's because they did not make 7's). 4 runner is sort of top heavy and like DP I pitch this thing sideways anytime I can... I like the drift feeling HA. I like to drive fast also... I hit 4th-5th gear in the desert every trip. I literally have never lost a bead on any of my trucks. I have on a street vehicle though (67 mustang). Worst thing to happen was I got dirt in the bead and a slow leak once. Popped it off the bead and cleaned the dirt out then put it back and all good.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Ranger vs yota?

Reactions: DP_Ranger

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
No bead locks here either. I always run 7 inch wide wheels though to keep bead pressure (Currently 8's because they did not make 7's). 4 runner is sort of top heavy and like DP I pitch this thing sideways anytime I can... I like the drift feeling HA. I like to drive fast also... I hit 4th-5th gear in the desert every trip. I literally have never lost a bead on any of my trucks. I have on a street vehicle though (67 mustang). Worst thing to happen was I got dirt in the bead and a slow leak once. Popped it off the bead and cleaned the dirt out then put it back and all good.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Ranger vs yota?
Probably my I beams folding that tire under? Seems to happen on the front the most. Had the combo deal last time in Plaster city... peeled off driver side completely... and leaky bead from dirt on pass side. That was fun hearing it hiss while I rushed to get the driver side on and back on trailer before it went flat! haha. (hit a huge hole in the giant truck berms the TT's make) Think that was at like 20 something PSI too!

So yea, I get dirt in the sidewalls and get leaks from that too. That seems to be super common in the rear... probably from blasting berms/wash edges. Discount tire loves me when I bring them a bead full of dirt. LOL

Here's some berm fun....

Cahuilla jump is kinda boring now...

Tried scooting down to a bigger lip and testing it in second gear a few times... but no real landing... think this is what blasted fender.

Reactions: bullnerd

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds