Project daily shitbox

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

DrBirthdayBoy

Jan 10, 2022
Colorado
Starting a project on my “daily” driver. I know form prior experience how terrible this idea is but, fuck it life’s to short to drive a boring car. Fortunately I work only 2 miles from home so I can always pedal to work.

I recently picked up this 02 Ranger 2wd with a 3.0 and manual trans.

The original plan was to use it as a town car, home depot runs and to carry my dirt bike and mtb to the trails. The same duty as my old honda except the Ranger is probably a down grade in all aspects other than payload capacity.

I’ll keep the build pretty mild because it still need to fit the bikes and sheets of plywood.

How to build it is what brings me to DR. I have a good bit of fabrication experience but I don’t know shit about building a truck. I’ve worked as a fabricator in various industries and built some projects before (motorcycles, low riders, aircooled Volkswagens)
I’m in Colorado so I don’t need a full on desert rig but I want something fun on fire roads and maybe something I can occasionally take to the dunes is northern Colorado. Probably not going to jump much.

My build plan is this: (tell me what will or won’t work) shooting for ~12” front travel and whatever leafs in the rear can do on a budget.

4” lift spindles
+2.5” control arms ball joint DIY
2.0 8” coilovers (maybe 2.0 6”) whatever fits and can get me decent travel
leafs and shocks in the rear that stay under the bed
glass fenders
33” tires
8.8 diff with 4.56 gears

Last edited:

96f-u250

Sep 27, 2013
Magna, Ut.
Get 2.5” diameter shocks for the front.
Or i guess people say a 2.0 coilover along with a bypass in the front too isnt bad.

Heer-O

King Shit of Fuck Mountain
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: themoneypit

DrBirthdayBoy

Jan 10, 2022
Colorado

the kit is way out of my budget but good to know 12” is possible with coils. I saved pics for reference.
Is there a junkyard coil that can increase lift and travel?

DrBirthdayBoy

Jan 10, 2022
Colorado
Took a trip to the junkyard last weekend and started collecting parts, that I don’t really need.
Found a couple 8.8” Exploder axles with lockers and disc brakes. Got one for my truck and another to sell.

Im going to the junkyard again in a few days to get an extra set of control arms.
Are there any springs I should look out for that I can drop into the Ranger for more lift and travel?

also about how much lift is needed to clear 33s with glass fenders and 2.5” extended arms?

Heer-O

King Shit of Fuck Mountain
Jan 23, 2013
Lake Elsinore
How much of a backspacing are you gonna have in your rims? And why are you limiting yourself to 2.5"+ arms? Just curious if there's a reason

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
is the Mobza the perfect truck? Even the build thread is entertaining. I binged the first 30 pages of the build thread on the shitter this morning.
The Mobza is certainly NOT the perfect truck. Haha. Gay motor makes gay power. Power steering woes. Needs links(which I’ll do after I finish my Turboyota)

Glad the thread is entertaining!

Fat Brent still has the original +4” LT kit I made for that truck, it just needs a new snout pressed into one of the lift spindles or new spindles purchased from whoever…

He said make a reasonable offer

Reactions: Heer-O

DrBirthdayBoy

Jan 10, 2022
Colorado
How much of a backspacing are you gonna have in your rims? And why are you limiting yourself to 2.5"+ arms? Just curious if there's a reason

Thinking 15x8s with 3.75” backspacing. There is a set of wheels with those specs and 33x12.50r15 BFGs on my local Craigslist I might get this weekend.
No reason I’m limited to +2.5” arms but from what I’ve seen online it seems enough to hit the travel I want.
Again I’ve got a welder and tools but no idea what I’m doing designing a suspension.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds