Project Elsie

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't done a 5x4.5 disk brake setup yet. But a quick cross reference shows this setup SHOULD work. Don't take my word for it, check return policy before buying parts lol.

1) Ruff Stuff 9" weld on bracket - figure out your housing diameter first

2a) 76 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Calipers (if you want to retain parking brake)
2b) 76 Chevy K2500 Front Caliper or any aftermarket clipper that uses the 7.05" mounting (if you do not want parking breaks)

The above items will fit/work the only thing I'm not sure on is the rotor. this rotor should work though

3) 75 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 Front Rotor
Housing diameter is 3.5”, I knew that before I went to pick it up haha. I may already have gm calipers from my brothers old truck, but it’s nice to know a specific one now, thank you! As for rotors, I think Speedway is the one that has the 4.5 and 5.5 drilled rotors and you just put it in the corresponding holes and it makes it super easy to change later. I think they were just under $40 a piece too which honestly isn’t bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TotalPozerRaceing

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
You just want to make sure the diameter, initial thickness and minimum thickness are the same as the rotor the caliper was designed for. Otherwise you could have some dangerous results. I also like to be able to pickup replacement parts at any auto parts store. So if you decide to go speedway, at least you know a backup if you are in a pinch.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
The explorer caliper mounts bolt on to the 8.8 housing and don’t bolt up to a 9”. And the rotors are super thin and not vented.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Right stuff detailing sells matched rotor and caliper packages that are really nice and priced well. Allstar performance also sells a bunch of disc packages for 9 inch. This is one of the most common disc swaps out there so finding a kit should be easy. And relatively inexpensive.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Right stuff detailing sells matched rotor and caliper packages that are really nice and priced well. Allstar performance also sells a bunch of disc packages for 9 inch. This is one of the most common disc swaps out there so finding a kit should be easy. And relatively inexpensive.
Agreed. Though the calipers they sell can be bought for half the price of you know what they are. Personally, I hate spending more than I have to.

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
No updates on my truck today because I spent the better part of it helping my brother tow a 79 f250 with a 400m to his house. We used his busted 82 f150 to tow it. Engine wouldn’t run right so I got to use both feet to stop and use my muscles to turn the power steering while we drug it across the city.

Tomorrow I’m hoping to finish air hammering out the leaf brackets, install the new fronts, and put this thing back on it’s own weight.

Reactions: zachwabbit

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you. I’m just gathering info for it at the moment, I still have to install the brace for the 9 and I’m planning on getting everything welded on when I get to that point. I’ll definitely look into it and compare it to my other options.

Austinlb4

Sep 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Spent the better part of my weekend helping others and taking care of some chores so didn’t get a lot of time to work on my truck. Did manage to punch out the rivers for the front hanger, blast some rust off the frame, and spray it with some black paint to resist rust until I can start on the bed cage.

If you look closely, you can see where I said “screw safety” and used a hydraulic jack as my jack stand.

Would have got more done today but my leaf spring plates are 1/2” thick and I’m having to enlarge a hole to 3/4” and so far that’s eaten my dremel, a cheap drill, and a brand new harbor freight drill press.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds