Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
oh yea... put X back in... that took a bit of effort and a mini-sledge.

and then realized.. god damnit. Think I wasted money on parts. I didnt realize the reservoir was so far in front of bracket! I may need that space for radiator. We will see. I should be able to do remote reservoir real easy though.

Fugg it... back to something else. Limit straps. Got one side done.

Decided to have some fun. Welded inside tab with Slow N Cold setting

Welded outside tabs with Hot N Fast setting.

Last edited:

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Nice work, A-A Ron!

Good documentation on all the requisite components to stuff a LS into a ranger without cutting into the firewall.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Measured the ACDelco gaskets I have. Should be like .050ish when smashed.

turn down for what?

It's right about 5/8. Looking back... maybe should have gone just a hair more in depth... and def a little further up shaft... Hope this is sufficient. If not, and I ever get any contact.... I suppose I can always cut it apart and redo it

Reactions: Horunner

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ It's hard to tell. it's super thick in some spots.. but not in others. I thought about grinding into it before ... But, its ceramic coated, and I don't want to mess that up.

And, I think I would rather remove the solid stock on steering rod. I mean even if I had to go down to .5"... shit's strong enough, right?

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
Are your motor mounts solid, Delrin, or urethane?

I have 1/8” clearance between steering shaft and header on my Ranger with 6-6 nylon bushings for motor mounts, and it does not flex enough to hit.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ That is good to hear! All I know is they are black and not super hard. LOL. I don't feel like they will flex a ton. Things wouldn't really move much at all when tugging up with picker

Edit: Here is what manufacturer, Speed Engineering, says.

Our motor mounts are made of mild steel, tig welded, and include polyurethane bushing

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
^^ That is good to hear! All I know is they are black and not super hard. LOL. I don't feel like they will flex a ton. Things wouldn't really move much at all when tugging up with picker

Edit: Here is what manufacturer, Speed Engineering, says.

Our motor mounts are made of mild steel, tig welded, and include polyurethane bushing
If the manifold hits the shaft, you can replace bushings with delrin, or turn the shaft down some more. Or both.

Honestly, a 1/2” solid steering shaft makes me a little nervous. I feel like I could twist that bitch off! You’re a strapping young lad of the large variety. Keep that shaft as girthy as possible.

Reactions: smokeysevin

heezay

Smoke meth, hail satan.
Nov 27, 2011
buena park
I would swap the poly urethane bushings for delrin on the mounts. They will flex quite a bit once they get worn in a little

And hard to tell from the pictures but cut a fillet radius where you turned the shaft down if you haven’t already

It looks tight but as long as your steering isn’t getting locked up frequently I don’t see any huge problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds