Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
FasterNPOO,

Looking at your ugly trailing arms and your proposed “Johnny 5” side overlays got me feelin’ like doing some some calculations!!!

Assumption:
Trailing arm cross section at the lower shock eyelet is approximately a 4”x4” C-channel. I see the additional vertical ribs in the trailing arm that the shock bosses attach to, but I chose to ignore them for sake of simplifying the exercise.

Approximation for 2X vertical overlays:
———
If you add 1/8” x 4” “Johnny 5” vertically-oriented overlay plates to both sides of the trailing arm, the bending strength will increase by 36%

Approximation for 1X bottom overlay:
———
If you add a SINGLE 1/8” x 4” horizontally-oriented bash plate to the bottom of the trailing arm, the bending strength will increase by 57%. (!!!)

For the geeks:
4x4” x 3/16 wall c-channel moment of inertia=3.7in^4 (area= 2.18in^2)

4x4” x 3/16” wall c-channel with 2X side overlays moment of inertia=5.03in^4 (area = 3.18in^2)

4x4” x 3/16” wall c-channel with bash plate single overlay moment of inertia=5.83in^4 (area = 2.68in^2)

***Bottom line: more strength is added with less material and less weight if the bottom of the trailing arm is plated.***

Caveat: If trailing arms fail due to buckling of the sidewalls/webs, design of the trailing arms could be improved(i.e. internal side-to-side webbing or “beauty” overlays at the shock bolt locations).

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
FasterNPOO,

Looking at your ugly trailing arms and your proposed “Johnny 5” side overlays got me feelin’ like doing some some calculations!!!

Assumption:
Trailing arm cross section at the lower shock eyelet is approximately a 4”x4” C-channel. I see the additional vertical ribs in the trailing arm that the shock bosses attach to, but I chose to ignore them for sake of simplifying the exercise.

Approximation for 2X vertical overlays:
———
If you add 1/8” x 4” “Johnny 5” vertically-oriented overlay plates to both sides of the trailing arm, the bending strength will increase by 36%

Approximation for 1X bottom overlay:
———
If you add a SINGLE 1/8” x 4” horizontally-oriented bash plate to the bottom of the trailing arm, the bending strength will increase by 57%. (!!!)

For the geeks:
4x4” x 3/16 wall c-channel moment of inertia=3.7in^4 (area= 2.18in^2)

4x4” x 3/16” wall c-channel with 2X side overlays moment of inertia=5.03in^4 (area = 3.18in^2)

4x4” x 3/16” wall c-channel with bash plate single overlay moment of inertia=5.83in^4 (area = 2.68in^2)

***Bottom line: more strength is added with less material and less weight if the bottom of the trailing arm is plated.***

Caveat: If trailing arms fail due to buckling of the sidewalls/webs, design of the trailing arms could be improved(i.e. internal side-to-side webbing or “beauty” overlays at the shock bolt locations).
IMG_1181.JPG

Reactions: Turboyota

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Add your truss and such to the housing before you have the snouts welded in, that way they can make it straight if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
your proposed “Johnny 5” side overlays got me feelin’ like doing some some calculations!!!
Nerd alert^^^^^^^^^^

My preferred method of building trailing arms currently is 3/16" bottom plate,1/8'' internal ribs, .090 outer skins, .060 overlays and .060 top plate. Also, double wall bottom under the shocks with 1.5" drain tubes under each one.

Like deez.

88 by Scott Mosteller, on Flickr

86 by Scott Mosteller, on Flickr

The breaks in the sides really help stiffen things up.

With the addition of the TW axle, you have lost all ghetto cred.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Nerd alert^^^^^^^^^^

My preferred method of building trailing arms currently is 3/16" bottom plate,1/8'' internal ribs, .090 outer skins, .060 overlays and .060 top plate. Also, double wall bottom under the shocks with 1.5" drain tubes under each one.

Like deez.

88 by Scott Mosteller, on Flickr

86 by Scott Mosteller, on Flickr

The breaks in the sides really help stiffen things up.

With the addition of the TW axle, you have lost all ghetto cred.
What’s the motion ratio on those guys? The shocks look to be forward of 50% on the lowers. Those things are pretty nice looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
i was wondering the same. Almost like the helm is supposed to be on the frame side. Also looks like the bypass would be 50/50, if the unibazl is on the frame side. putting the coilover forward of that.

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
If the heim is on the frame side, there wouldn’t be such a stark cross-sectional transition from the trailing arm to the threads of the heim at a highly stressed part of the trailing arm. Bending loads in threads are bad.

The pinch bungs appear to be Light Racing. I really like the design of those trailing arms.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds