Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Just spent 3 hours going from page 50 to 140... For the dream!
LOL> yea you could say I over document every step for sure. haha

Tommy, No, I got the small "Bantam" one because I had no idea on space really, and based it off the flat firewall space. Now that I am spacing it off firewall anyway... I wonder how big I could have gone? I still hope to use that firewall space under dash to mount a bunch of electronics though, like SwitchPro modules, AC controller, Holley ECU, etc. Shit, probably not enough space. And this thing probably won't be enough AC either. Win, Lose? haha

Tightened up all the vents and controls. Wondering what to do to keep them from rattling loose. Maybe a dab of some black RTV?

Lil miggas that got blended...

And the other side mounts getting done... just gotta weld and blend them

So, yea... almost ready to glue this thing to firewall now!

DirtFiend602

DR Maitre'D
Dec 12, 2008
Looks awesome. As far as the vents go... I've used gaffers tape, silicone, and rivets to hold the ducting to the vents.

Reactions: 85yota

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Depends how permanent you want the vents but a little bit if fiberglass with a single strip of matt would hold them in good. Or some panel bond would hold them tight. Rtv would work and still be removable in the future

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
as far as the air vents go, on my round ones i use zip ties, the rectangle ones suck ass and i am just lucky to get them fitted with out breaking them.
its hard to direct mount much to those dashes, that's why i just made bezels or plates to mount things to on mine.
what music radio are you running?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
"music radio" ? LOL. What is this... 1950? haha. I always use the term "stereo" to try and differentiate that between radio comms.

I have a Rockford Fosgate PMX-3. Plan to use backup camera in it too

Main Restomod unit mounted. The current plan is to mount the defrost vents to the truck(between dash tube and body right in front of the sill the dash mounts are on)... they will be way down at bottom of window.... and a bit closer to window than factory mounts... but won't be stuck to dash... and I assume will still work.

Sticks out the bottom a bit... but factory one does too if i recall correctly

Also started workin on brake lines since those came in.

Hindsight.. probably should have went with a 90* NPT here. Always feel like I will have a sealing problem or have to be too tight to get it where I want it... so I never do it. I swear it's probably just "paralysis from over analysis" as Justin says.

Doubt I am only one that experiences this. Takes me forever to make decisions on the dumbest things for this. I way over analyze. But, a 90* NPT right out of caliper with a straight would have been less money overall and a bit tighter to caliper I bet...

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm sure you've probably said this but what does the air conditioner tie into? Is it stand alone or is there a condenser radiator/compressor pump? How much does it run? arm and a leg or left nut?

Great progress though. My calipers shipped with 90 degree npt fittings

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^^ What? I got robbed! haha. Yea, I shoulda used those 90's like that instead. Oh well.

I ran into a slight problem with that tiny bracket I made.

Gonna have to switch bolts... wasted like $2 cutting down that 12 pt down. LOL

Will run the soft lines over like this (of course, not early that long... I will shorten them).

Using the nickel-copper pre-fabbed lines... if i need to I will cut them down some. Been lagging on the hard line because I am gonna use Justin's bender. His brake line bender is cool like this.

Mine is gay like this.

So yea... as for the AC. You definitely need some more components. Right now this would really only be useful as a heater and defroster. I still need a condenser and drier and compressor and maybe a switch?

But that is gonna be my major problem. I am not sure my dumbass left enough room for the condenser! I was told I could probably find a condenser with fans (for mounting somewhere besides in front of radiator.) We'll see how this all pans out.

got the defrost vents mounted. fucking seam sealer. porosity/explosion city, even from a tack weld. good thing it's only holding plastic vents.

Reactions: Klever

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Defroster is really all that's "required" anyway. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet

Are those -3AN lines? I'm pretty sure I have some short extras lying around

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds