Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Didn't even think about having cap in/on upper line. We'll see if that is necessary.

45 on the bottom is gonna have to happen for sure. Jarred from on here might even have a bent outlet.

Last night I addressed the fan issue. As it stands... I still need to install fans AFTER I slide radiator in. I might see if I can do a little more massaging to eliminate that nuisance... but not looking so promising.

This guy over here has a little curve... so this will be more fun to box

Well "Oh dang"... I was expecting to get more clearance than that, Clarence!

This side seems closer by a hair?

And here I leaned it back until it touched.

Maybe I cut some more. I will stare at it some more this afternoon. At this point the whole frame is gone. LOL
Front bumper isn't nearly as secure as before, I can tell you that! I can kinda flex it a bit now with just my arms... But once I am done it should be OK.
Oh, and it appears I have about 3/4" of space above to raise it without current cap issues ... which will help with fan clearance, Clarence.

Reactions: SoupGFX

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
That looks like an awesome radiator BUT why go through all this trouble and not just get a different one that fits much better and is what you need.

Also could you not move the engine cage up any because of the hood? I personally would get a shorter radiator and be onto the next part of the project.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Boxing in the giant frame gape took quite a bit of time... I ended up clearing another 1/4" or so forward for a little extra space.

Did that while using a square tube for reference to try and get things mostly flat and level.. and square up front.

Then it was time to build all the plates... using my new box from like my 15th HF angle grinder! These seem to last longer than the Drill master ones.

Decided to do open corner joints so I could have weld on both sides... Welded the backsides before I put them in... I think this is the first time using 110V on 3/16" plate. Only works on the open corner joints. Had to bust out the generator for the fillet welds

Then put them all in place for final positioning

Then started burning them in!

This was a nice weld... too bad they all weren't this nice. It was CRAMPED on the inside because all the scrap place holders for header panel mounts.

I did these lower welds as a single pass on the outsides...

So, I wanted to do the same on the inside. Difficult to do in that space and was sweating balls... but somehow was fun! Probably because they came out better than expected given the space.Had to put a tiny tack on a small hole. dangit. All done with the box, now on to making that X fit and fixing tubes....

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupGFX

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
yea, I dunno. I like keeping the frame. And still less work I think.

Coulda gone totally tubular for sure tho, bra! just hack from swinger mount on pass side forward.

Reactions: the bodj

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
You guys think this will be a big enough air filter? I can't seem to find any CFM info.
6" base to 4.75" cone... 9" long
AFE Power Magnum FLOW Pro GUARD7 Air Filter - 72-40035

And looks like the X is gonna work! Barely. It had to be notched down... but still just wide enough to fit the frame width... like I meant to build it that way. LOL.

Not too stoked my front end has sleeves now... but to avoid that I would have had to re-do all shock mounts and such. Yea, not happening. I plan to make it all as invisible as possible. Just don't tell anyone, OK? OK.

And what sucks is... looks like with the X in place.. it is just barely too tight to slide radiator in with fans on. I will have to try and install them after sliding in. I STILL may not have enough space for the fans. If I need to cut fan provisions into this box section I already have a plan. And how much header panel will I have to hack?? We will see!

So clearly that means no room for a condenser up front from what I am seeing. However, I had a new idea. I have that big CBR trans cooler in back. I should be able to squeeze a condenser on there directly underneath it. Think that will pull enough air?
Restomod guys said I should be OK to run condenser in back ... just need to get a bigger drier. (I suppose longer lines = more condensation issues?) This might just fit.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds