Project G4 AKA QuasiGhetto

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
wow... lots of work. i have looked at doing a radiator this wide or more. my idea was to just cut the front frame off and lower it down to where the lower skid plate tub is and build the bumper stuff from that.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
So, remember back at the beginning of all this when I said you should move the motor back more?
That may or may not have popped into my head a few times during this process. And Justin may or may not have mentioned it a few times too!! HAHHAHA.

Nobody has thoughts on air filter? I feel like it should be fine... except it ain't no fancy air cyclone time turbinator air box

I got the X tacked in last night with all the ratchet straps. And got outer header panel tabs reworked and tacked. Need to finish the middle one, and the I can test fit header panel. Trying to get 1 hour a day in evening on this. Assuming all goes well, I can remove temp supports and use those to make the outer spliced sections. All scrap metal used so far (except for the sleeves from Justin)... so no harm no foul?

And lookie here.. it fits. Have to install fans after sliding radiator in and man the 4" intake is huge, but seems OK too. I still might make more clearance for fans though. we will see how things are when I start hard mounting it

radiator cap still might work too?

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
wow... lots of work. i have looked at doing a radiator this wide or more. my idea was to just cut the front frame off and lower it down to where the lower skid plate tub is and build the bumper stuff from that.

you can totally do that. Just cut in front of swinger on pass side frame rail. Only thing is if it gets too low... I think you would need a surge tank.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Got another hour last night. Re did the center tab... Not much of that was left! Definitely pushed it about as far forward as you can go. After finishing that tab...Tried to fit it up... and got this close.

Not quite there...

Still need to hack more off to get these bolt holes in the correct location. And will need to remove some of that structure on the header panel like I suspected.

So far I have taken off 1" to get it there. I think it is all gonna work out to plan though? Well, the new plan. haha. PS cutting fiberglass is fun, not.

Reactions: charlie_brown

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
got an hour and a half last night! haha

Got the outer tubes re- done.

Got the front header panel on. It fits! BARELY. Knew I was pushing it about as far forward as I could go. I had to notch out a good portion.

PEEK-A-BOO

All of it fits though.. even the plastic air ducting. Had to cut it back in the center too.

And the new diags are 90% too. Just need to fine tune and log in PAD notes. Need to make sure they clear tire too. These are .095. 20" 40* notch and 45* miter.

Everything was really starting to come together. I really wanted these tubes to go to corners up front... but, well... that damn radiator is in the way.

Did someone say radiator? Uh no..we don't want to talk about that stupid thing. I always knew in my head this thing would be a nightmare .... but, it went to a whole new level.

So, the gist of it is. I'm a complete moron and somehow it fell off the back of truck when I was working!! ... I must have nudged it off the foam I had it on.. and then the vibration, hammering, etc did the rest. This is where I wish I had more room to put stuff. Stacking shit on the truck clearly isn't the best.

And it is pretty jacked. Probably has a hole in it with my luck. I think it landed on axle and flopped over and hit caliper or something?! All I know is it made a shit ton of noise and that "oh no.. oh no" song popped in my head. I was sooo mad when I saw that thing on the floor. It was hard not being an asshole to everyone around me that night. Even though it was totally my own dumbass' fault.

This won't matter...

But this one does!! HOW!?? The one side the fan is off... and the backside where there wasn't cardboard!
I tried pressurizing it with my stupid face.. and couldn't see any soap bubbles... but that test is probably about as good as... well, the place I had placed the radiator, apparently. Feel like an idiot posting these up...but hey... you guys can enjoy my misery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klever and Jester9

3.0 power

Sep 29, 2011
ViStA
got an hour and a half last night! haha

Got the outer tubes re- done.

Got the front header panel on. It fits! BARELY. Knew I was pushing it about as far forward as I could go. I had to notch out a good portion.

PEEK-A-BOO

All of it fits though.. even the plastic air ducting. Had to cut it back in the center too.

And the new diags are 90% too. Just need to fine tune and log in PAD notes. Need to make sure they clear tire too. These are .095. 20" 40* notch and 45* miter.

Everything was really starting to come together. I really wanted these tubes to go to corners up front... but, well... that damn radiator is in the way.

Did someone say radiator? Uh no..we don't want to talk about that stupid thing. I always knew in my head this thing would be a nightmare .... but, it went to a whole new level.

So, the gist of it is. I'm a complete moron and somehow it fell off the back of truck when I was working!! ... I must have nudged it off the foam I had it on.. and then the vibration, hammering, etc did the rest. This is where I wish I had more room to put stuff. Stacking shit on the truck clearly isn't the best.

And it is pretty jacked. Probably has a hole in it with my luck. I think it landed on axle and flopped over and hit caliper or something?! All I know is it made a shit ton of noise and that "oh no.. oh no" song popped in my head. I was sooo mad when I saw that thing on the floor. It was hard not being an asshole to everyone around me that night. Even though it was totally my own dumbass' fault.

This won't matter...

But this one does!! HOW!?? The one side the fan is off... and the backside where there wasn't cardboard!
I tried pressurizing it with my stupid face.. and couldn't see any soap bubbles... but that test is probably about as good as... well, the place I had placed the radiator, apparently. Feel like an idiot posting these up...but hey... you guys can enjoy my misery.

You should be fine they only have about 20 psi and if it does leak aluminum jb weld will take care of that lol my range took a rock to the radiator at the desert was leaking bad jb weld it was good for another 5 years

Reactions: the bodj

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
^^x2 on the jb weld. Put a hole in my brand new aluminum rad in my samurai many years ago. Popped some jb weld on it and stayed that way for 4 years before I sold it.

Throw a dab on there and run it.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
No way. Didn't think that would work. If it leaks i will! it's hidden so nobody will see too. LOL

Finished up the fine tuning and plug weld holes and welded it all up on Saturday ...

And spent waaaaaaaay too much time trying to make this repair job look seamless on the splices.

hands were tired as fuck after 4x of these!!

But, have to say... I think it was worth it.

Then I welded in the new diags too. Here are the Left vs. Right travel battles. It's way easier for me to weld left to right. I think because of where my eyes are. Hard to see puddle coming towards me when I go from right to left or something... and just feels more awkward.

L Upper. ** RHUT RHO. I can see my weld marks. looks about as seamless as my ass. LOL

R upper

L lower

R lower

That was actually after checking clearance for once. I knew there was space... but not that much!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds